cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox full due to shared folder; can't leave as don't have sufficient permission to do so.

Dropbox full due to shared folder; can't leave as don't have sufficient permission to do so.

Kateymw
Explorer | Level 3

Hello

My Dropbox is full due to a large shared folder. This is one I accessed about 4 years ago and haven't used since; I'm not sure why it has reappeared overnight and synced with my own account. I tried to click the sharing option to remove my own access but it comes up that I don't have permission to do so (it says "This folder can only be managed by the XXXX team." 

I then tried to delete the file in my account and again it says I don't have permission to do so. 

It seems ridiculous I can't remove myself from an account I haven't accessed in four years, that I haven't added myself to. I have tried to contact the person who manages the account but I am not getting any response from them, and in the meantime my own DropBox is full and giving me warnings all the time. 

16 Replies 16

Mark
Super User II

Team folders are not shared folders as such - they operate differently and have different setups and properties. Did you ever 'join' the Team? If so does https://www.dropbox.com/team/decide this help?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Kateymw
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, no I'm not aware of joining the team and I don't have any permissions as such. It's four years ago and I never synced it with my account then actually - it's just appeared overnight. And blocked my whole account up!

The link you sent me just says get started, it doesn't look like I am in a team as such. 

Thanks

Mark
Super User II

You have to have accepted it at some point as Teams (same as Shares) cannot just be linked without approval. 

Have a try at using https://help.dropbox.com/organize/team-folders

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

hilpara
Explorer | Level 4

I just can't remove my access to shared company folder (which is way too big to fit my plan). I have done it according to instructions:

Folder->Share->Who Can Access->My name: Can View -> Remove my access -> Remove my access

And I only get error message

"You don’t have permission to manage membership of this folder"

What can I do?

Mark
Super User II

Is it a Team folder? If so you may need to look at it via a different way, or, get work to remove you: https://help.dropbox.com/organize/team-folders

Kateymw
Explorer | Level 3

It doesn't seem to consider me as part of the team. It says I can edit, but then when I try and remove my own access, it says I can't as this can only be done by members of the team. It then says I can't perform this action on a team shared folder. 

If I did accept being part of the team it would have been four years ago, and no folders were ever added to my account previously. I also can't see anywhere that I am part of the team or have the option for leaving it. It is rendering my Dropbox account unusable now though!

Capture.jpg

2.JPG

hilpara
Explorer | Level 4

I guess it is a team folder, but the account is my personal account and not a company account.

My account is not part of a team (at least it doesn't say anywhere that it was converted to one). How come it is not possible to unlink any folder I want from my OWN account?

Mark
Super User II

As you have joined a Team - thats part of a Business set up. 

As for how to leave I'm not sure sorry 😞 

Hopefully somebody can help tomorrow. 

I'm going to join this with another thread with same issue as that makes it easier for support to see. 

Mark
Super User II

@Megan - any ideas on this one? 

I've just had about 10 Team folders appear in my Dropbox saying I added them when I havent (they were historic folders that were inside of a Share I had previously). As with others it isnt letting me leave them as they are a Team folder. I havent joined any Team

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Kateymw Explorer | Level 3
    Mark Super User II
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    hilpara Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?