cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox downloads show as online with cloud Icon WHY? Need all downloaded files to be offline

Dropbox downloads show as online with cloud Icon WHY? Need all downloaded files to be offline

wa4cbg
Explorer | Level 3

My Client has been using Dropbox for a number of years. He has a desktop and 2 laptops. He saves all files in Dropbox folders on the computer (local) Dropbox folders. Any new files in these folders are  synched across all computers and automatically downloaded to the hard drives of each computer. He has been very happy with this configuration. Works perfect…. EXCEPT

I did an install for his new windows 11 laptop and set it up identical to the other 3 computers.  Dropbox is set to sync all ,folders and make any new files offline. All files sync/download to this computer differently. The file names do appear in the proper local Dropbox directories/folders but all files and folders have the little cloud icon which signifies that the files are online, not offline.. 

Yes, I can right click files or folder and select make “available off-line”..  but s is an unnecessary step on his other computers! I also know that I can select “make all files available offline” from the Dropbox root directory…  but this step/procedure is not necessary on his other computers.   

I have reinstalled Dropbox several times under the direction of several Dropbox Support agents and no change.  All files downloaded continue to be online files.

This should be a relatively simple question to answer:

1. is the behavior that I am seeing on the new windows 11 laptop by design? Is this the new normal for Dropbox?

2. Or is it an issue with the installation,

3. is it an issue with windows 11 and Dropbox?
4. Why are the other computers working perfectly, downloading all files to the local drive for offline access without the need for right clicking folders etc.

I hope someone can understand the issue. It seems that some of the Dropbox Support folks were unfamiliar with this issue.

Any response of help is greatly appreciated,

7 Replies 7

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @wa4cbg, thanks for providing these details.

Just to check, could you attach a screenshot showing the Dropbox folder as it appears in Explorer for that machine?

Additionally, a screenshot of the desktop preferences in the Sync tab would by appreciated.

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

wa4cbg
Explorer | Level 3

Jay,

Thanks in advance for your help. Here is the screenshot that I saved previously. Will send you the configuration page a bit later, when I can log back into the computer. screenshot 2.jpg

dropbox 1.jpg

Jay
Dropbox Staff

From what I can see, the settings look correct on that page.

I know you've mentioned it already, but if you mark the entire Dropbox folder as available offline, does this proceed to make all the files local?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

wa4cbg
Explorer | Level 3
Yes, all files downloaded after selecting the option on the Dropbox folder

wa4cbg
Explorer | Level 3

What is the expected behavior after making that selection? Should all new files and folders automatically be made offline ?

wa4cbg
Explorer | Level 3

I checked the settings on my Windows 10 desktop and it is configured identically as the windows 11 laptop. It has worked perfectly for 5 years. The Dropbox root folder has the check-mark and right clicking the folder gives you the two options; make available offline and make online-only. Files have always downloaded to the hard drive (Available off-line).. 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @wa4cbg, if this a brand new installation, this could be expected, depending on your initial choice during the installation about how to sync the files.

However, in any case, you can simply right-click on the Dropbox folder itself and choose "make available offline".

This option will download all the files in the Dropbox folder.

The options in the preferences should work as normal.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    wa4cbg Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?