cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox desktop app disconnects randomly during file upload

Dropbox desktop app disconnects randomly during file upload

DamianYap
New member | Level 2

Dropbox desktop app disconnects randomly. I have a work team, and we are all having this problem when we want to upload files, Dropbox disconnects and the upload or download is interrupted. The only way to fix it is to close and reopen the app. But it disconnects again after a while.

30 Replies 30

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @phafa and @shastings, can you try a more advanced reinstall of the Dropbox app and let us know if it helps?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

shastings
Helpful | Level 5

If I’m understanding correctly, this will require uninstalling and doing a complex reinstall where I will need to manually apply the online-only settings to folders in my current massive directory. Is this right? If so, as I mentioned yesterday, I would prefer to avoid this as I believe (as someone as has stated already here), the issue is completely on DB’s end considering multiple users are experiencing this issue right now. Just having to re-sync my entire folder of nearly 100k files is highly disruptive, but having to hunt and peck and figure out which are only online and redo those settings is a science experiment I’m not willing to undertake right now considering I’ve wasted nearly 12 hours of my life in the last few days trying to resolve this problem with nothing but troubleshooting tips from customer support that I’ve already tried. Sorry if this is harsh but I pay hundreds of dollars every year for a business account bc file storage and sharing is crucial to my business. Not even being able to see my thumbnails and icons is ridiculous.

Etfo
New member | Level 2

I have multiple Windows users who are experiencing this issue right now. It is only our Windows users. The issues are exactly as described: Dropbox works for a few minutes, then breaks and stops syncing. InDesign seems to be a trigger for this, with all the links that it tries to access through Dropbox. They have a mix of Windows 10 and Windows 11, but are all on the 202.4.5551 update. Is there any movement from Dropbox on this request? We are mostly dead in the water with files otherwise.

phafa
Explorer | Level 4

Sorry Hannah, but I'm not here to be your testing subject. Uninstalling and reinstalling during a work week could turn pretty negative for me. It's pretty evident that the problem comes from Dropbox's side, so please I'd suggest someone from your side looks into that instead.

shastings
Helpful | Level 5

DB1.pngDB2.png

Not trying to be difficult, but can anyone from DB please reply if this issue is being addressed/looked into by DB IT team? It is not being mentioned at all on the DB outage status page. Thank you. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @shastings, as you're still experiencing this issue, I'd recommend contacting the support team directly for them to investigate this in more detail on their end.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

phafa
Explorer | Level 4

@Jay  ... just lol.
Anyway, I just sent a ticket to the support team I'll come back to this thread if they bother responding with anything else other than REINSTALL.
This is pissing me off.

shastings
Helpful | Level 5

Submitted. This has all been super helpful. 

cs28
Helpful | Level 5

Can confirm my team is having this issue as well. We are all on Windows running v202.4.5551. Dropbox works for the first few minutes after restarting the PC, but freezes up quickly. Pausing sync shows an infinite "Pausing sync..." loading screen, but doesn't actually pause until I restart the PC. @shastings and @phafa thank you for pushing this issue with the support team. Let me know if you find a fix, but I think you are correct in assuming it's on DB's end with the amount of people experiencing this issue. 

phafa
Explorer | Level 4

I don't wanna jinx anything, but it seems everything has been working good so far today.
Support Team requested I recorded a video of the issue, but everything has been smooth so far.
Hopefully it's been fixed?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

SR910 Explorer | Level 3
    phafa Explorer | Level 4
    cs28 Helpful | Level 5
    shastings Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?