cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: DropBox sync not working on Windows 10

Dropbox app on Windows gets stuck syncing every time I'm opening online-only files.

Clafond177
New member | Level 2

Have been using DropBox app (selective sync) for over a year with zero problems, however recently syncing has become a big issue. 

Issues:

• When attempting to view online-only files, DropBox struggles immensely and gets stuck in a syncing loop. Files won't open unless I quit DropBox to sever the never-ending sync loop. Files that haven't been made available for offline use are inaccessible.
  • Grey X appears on file icons indicating a file sync issue.
  • Windows Explorer slows to a crawl and locks up. Quitting DropBox immediately remedies the problem.

Attempted solutions:

• Performed Windows 10 update.
  • Updated video card drivers.
  • Uninstalled DropBox. Deleted local files. Re-installed DropBox. Re-Synced DropBox files (selective sync).
  • Activated/De-activated VPN.

Specs:

• Windows 10 Pro - Version: 22H2
  • DropBox v202.4.5551
14 Replies 14

john-hartmann
Explorer | Level 4

Seeing the same thing with the same specs.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Clafond177 and @john-hartmann, I’m sorry to hear you’re both having this issue.

Is this something that started happening after the latest app update to the 202.4.5551 version? What's the syncing status of your Dropbox apps?

Also, to clarify, are you able to open offline files normally? Is this only happening when trying to access online-only files?

Finally, I’d like you to right click on your local Dropbox folder, select “Properties” and send me a screenshot of the next window you’ll see. 

Keep me in the loop.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Clafond177
New member | Level 2

Hi Nancy, thanks for the reply. I've been experiencing this issue for the past few days which tracks with the release of 202.4.5551 this past Tuesday, but it's hard to say whether that was the definitive cause. 

I am able to open offline files normally. Only when I try to open online-only files does it give me trouble. I should also note that I am - in part - able to access online-only files, but functionality is sparse and it seems to be incredibly taxing on Windows Explorer, to the point where I can barely browse local files. 

You can find a screenshot of the main DropBox folder's properties tab below.

Folder_PropertiesTab.png

john-hartmann
Explorer | Level 4

This is also something that has kicked up the last few days, and I can't be sure it's related to 202.4.5551, but it seems to be.

My biggest problem is that I need to pause syncing when working on certain files, and that functionality seems to be sporadic or broken currently. I paused sync about 20 minutes ago, and it still says this:

johnhartmann_0-1719612826912.png

The app does not report any sync issues.

john-hartmann
Explorer | Level 4

Update: after a hard reboot of the app, the pause was on. I turned it off, and the slowness of Windows Explorer / indexing seems to have ceased. So I suspect it has something to do with the sync process in this particular version of the app, including indexing of files on the local machine and access to online-only files.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks both for the additional info! 

@Clafond177, I had a look in our records in the meantime and I can see you’ve been in touch with our support team, too. I’ve left them an internal note with all the info you’ve shared here, so that they can also access it. 

Please reply back to our agent’s latest email, when possible, and they’ll further assist.

@john-hartmann, have you also removed and reinstalled the Dropbox app, like @Clafond177?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

john-hartmann
Explorer | Level 4

I installed but did not remove, using the previous version (202.3.5506). It auto-updated itself to 202.4.5551 almost immediately.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @john-hartmann, thanks for the update.

Is your syncing currently "up to date"? If so, I'd suggest trying a more advanced reinstall of the app, to see if that helps.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

lshaw22
Explorer | Level 4

I will add that I am having the same issues for the last week and it appears to line up with the latest release. Files don't finish syncing, I lose the ability to do any sort of right-click dropbox tools and explorer has been very slow at times. I have to do a full quit and reboot of Dropbox for thing to work for a few minutes before the problems start again. 

Need more support?