cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop App is not opening or running - files from 3rd party app are not syncing

Desktop App is not opening or running - files from 3rd party app are not syncing

TGD-Inc
Helpful | Level 6

5 Months ago I downloaded the desktop app for my PC.

It downloaded and has never actually opened when I tried. I see Dropbox in the files and can open some files that way, but I need the files I sync daily from a third party website to be accessible locally on my desktop for compliance. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app a million times, I even tried to upgrade to a paid plan to get support, no one seems to have the solution. If ya'll have any experience with this and a solution, it would be much appreciated.

27 Replies 27

TGD-Inc
Helpful | Level 6

@DBoxTips  Thank you again. I added a test_2 folder to eBound Back Up and placed a PDF file in it. Both the folder and file synced and are accessible via the PC app, mobile app and via the file explorer. They are also in Selective Sync and can be checked & unchecked.

DBoxTips
Collaborator | Level 10

Thank you @TGD-Inc. I have one more idea to try:

1. Navigate to to "eBound Backup" folder on your PC in File Explorer.

2. On your PC, create a subfolder inside the "eBound Backup" folder and give it with the same name as the subfolder of "eBound Backup" that is not syncing to the PC.

3. Wait for Dropbox to sync the newly created subfolder. Notice if anything happens to the folder name (it gets renamed, a suffix is added etc.).

4. Check the website or mobile app inside the "eBound Backup" folder and see if the newly created folder was synced and under what name.

Please report back your findings here.

Thanks,

Andrew (DBoxTips)

I am an individual contributor to the Dropbox Community forums, not affiliated with Dropbox in any way. All opinions expressed here are my own.

TGD-Inc
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks again.

Upon sync an ending period (.) was removed from the folder name.

It synced to all instances the same way.

DBoxTips
Collaborator | Level 10

Thank you @TGD-Inc, that finally solves the puzzle here. In Windows there is a limitation in that you cannot create folders ending in a dot. This is why Dropbox is not syncing that folder on your PC, while it is otherwise visible on the Dropbox website and in the mobile app. Since that folder is created by an application (Orchid eBound), maybe you can remove the dot from the folder name via the app.

To sum it up: the issue is created by the ending dot in the "Inc." suffix of that folder's name. If you find a way to remove that ending dot from the folder name via the app that handles that folder then you will make that folder sync to your PC.

Hope this helps,

Andrew (DBoxTips)

I am an individual contributor to the Dropbox Community forums, not affiliated with Dropbox in any way. All opinions expressed here are my own.

TGD-Inc
Helpful | Level 6

@DBoxTips JACKPOT!

I removed the ending punctuation from the file name in Dropbox Web and everything synced right away. I'm so relived.

Now to make sure it continues to sync to file explorer.

Thank you very much! I'll pop back and confirm resolution in a couple days just to be sure it sticks.

DBoxTips
Collaborator | Level 10
Glad to hear it worked! Let’s hope the third-party app that manages that folder is not confused by the changed name and continues to create dated backups as subfolders inside that folder, so that it continues to work as expected.

Thanks,
Andrew (DBoxTips)

TGD-Inc
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@DBoxTips Resolved!

Thank you for your assistance. Just to button this topic up. The 3rd party app created a new folder with the same name at the next back up and it did not reflect on my file explorer. I reached out to them to correct that & it works flawlessly now. 

Thank you very much for your assistance with this issue.

DBoxTips
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution
Happy to hear that @TGD-Inc!

Thank you for crediting my above suggestion that the issue had to be fixed at the 3rd party app level, just removing the dot from the folder name via the website wasn’t enough. Although @Megan picked another reply as the solution, what matters is that your issue is resolved now.

Thanks,
Andrew (DBoxTips)
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

DBoxTips Collaborator | Level 10
    TGD-Inc Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?