cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Share your feedback on the Document Scanning Experience in the Dropbox App right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop App is not opening or running - files from 3rd party app are not syncing

Desktop App is not opening or running - files from 3rd party app are not syncing

TGD-Inc
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

5 Months ago I downloaded the desktop app for my PC.

It downloaded and has never actually opened when I tried. I see Dropbox in the files and can open some files that way, but I need the files I sync daily from a third party website to be accessible locally on my desktop for compliance. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app a million times, I even tried to upgrade to a paid plan to get support, no one seems to have the solution. If ya'll have any experience with this and a solution, it would be much appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

TGD-Inc
Helpful | Level 6

@DBoxTips JACKPOT!

I removed the ending punctuation from the file name in Dropbox Web and everything synced right away. I'm so relived.

Now to make sure it continues to sync to file explorer.

Thank you very much! I'll pop back and confirm resolution in a couple days just to be sure it sticks.

View solution in original post

25 Replies 25

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

You've not actually said why it isnt working -whats the error messages etc.?

For the ones from the third party website are they appearing online at www.dropbox.com/home ? If not THATS the issue not the software. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

TGD-Inc
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks Mark,

There is no error message. I click it & nothing happens... at all.

The 3rd party files are added every day & accessible at dropbox.com as well as the drobox app on my phone. I created a folder that I use and that updated in the app & on web. It is reflected in the files as well. When I add files tot he website they are reflected on the desktop and vice versa. In the "apps folder on the website I can see the daily files, on the desktop app when I open the apps folder I get a "desktop.ini file that opens to info in notepad.

Dropbox Screenshot.JPG

DBoxTips
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Hello @TGD-Inc 

While there are more details that would be needed to troubleshoot this, I would start with:

1. Which version of Windows are you running on your PC?

2. Was the Dropbox icon ever visible in the bottom right (tray area) of the screen?

This would help as a starting point to getting to the bottom of this, although finding a solution in this manner could take a while given the asynchronous nature of the forum.

Alternatively, I could help with troubleshooting this faster via email, as I have experience with figuring out hard Dropbox puzzles like this one. If that's an option that you would consider, feel free to add ".com" to my forum username and enter it in the address bar in order to get in touch. Otherwise, answering the forum here would also work (albeit slower).

Here to help,

Andrew (DBoxTips)

I am an individual contributor to the Dropbox Community forums, not affiliated with Dropbox in any way. All opinions expressed here are my own.

TGD-Inc
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Andrew,

Thanks for the assist.

I'm running Windows 10 Home.

The DropBox Icon is visible in the bottom left taskbar (I pinned it there). as well as in the system tray. FYI - It says "my files are up to date", but they are not.

DBoxTips
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Thank you for the details.

Since you mentioned the files being accessed via the "Apps" folder via the website and the mobile app, are those files from the third-party website accessible via a subfolder of the "Apps" folder? If so, when you go into Dropbox selective sync settings on the Dropbox desktop app preferences do you see that subfolder checked? 

Thanks,

Andrew (DBoxTips)

TGD-Inc
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Unfortunately the Desktop App doesn't open. There fore no selective sync settings or anything else that would be in the desktop app. Honestly, I don't even know what should be in the desktop app, I have never actually seen it.

DBoxTips
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution
You previously mentioned in the system tray it says your files are “Up to date”. You can open the Dropbox desktop app by clicking in the system tray on the Dropbox icon that says “Up to date”. After clicking it a small window should appear in that corner of the screen. Does that small window appear for you when clicking the Dropbox system tray icon?

Andrew (DBoxTips)

TGD-Inc
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Yes, the window appears when I select Dropbox via the system tray. 

20240707_164731.jpg

DBoxTips
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Great! That windows is part of the desktop app. Follow the instructions in this picture:

DBoxTips_0-1720439327269.png

Thanks,

Andrew (DBoxTips)

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

DBoxTips Collaborator | Level 10
    TGD-Inc Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?