cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Couldn't copy the link

Couldn't copy the link

Αλέξανδρος Ζ.
Explorer | Level 3

It seems that l can not copy any links to my files. If l try it, l get a message

"Couldn't copy the link. You don't have permission to create a link to this content"

This behavior last more than 24 hours .

Any ideas?

12 Replies 12

Rich
Super User II

@Αλέξανδρος Ζ. wrote:

"Couldn't copy the link. You don't have permission to create a link to this content"

You may have been banned from sharing. You'll need to contact Dropbox Support directly.

Αλέξανδρος Ζ.
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you, Rich! 

l tried to follow your suggestion, but the link gives me only two options:  Chatbot (which doesn't solve my problem) and Visiting the Community. Not sure what steps have to make.

I would appreciate it if you could kindly advise what would be the steps to reach Dropbox Support team.

Thank you, once again!!!

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Hi @Αλέξανδρος Ζ., in order to look into this matter in more detail, would it be possible to reach out to the email associated with your forum profile?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Αλέξανδρος Ζ.
Explorer | Level 3

Of course, Jay.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to look into this.

It seems that i have (gradually) lost persmission to create links to my files. It was working for some files yesterday, but it stopped working completely today. All I get is a message that I don't have permission to create a link to this content.

I deleted all existing links and checked my files for viruses, but the problem persists.

Have a Happy New Year and thank you, once again, for your help. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Thanks, I've sent you an email to your address. Please reply when you get a chance to do so!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

dgound
New member | Level 2

Hi all, I'm experiencing the same problem. I can't create any links to the files in my DropBox folder.

I'd appreciate any help resolving this.

Thanks,

Dimos

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @dgound, thanks for the nudge here.

This could be due to a temporary ban on your sharing.

Are you still having this issue?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

dgound
New member | Level 2

Hi Hannah,

thanks for reaching out. The issue has been resolved, it seems that my links were temporarily banned for high traffic.

I'm a bit surprised though that this happened because we create and share a large amount of links with colleagues and we never had this issue before.

I guess it must've been an outlier.

Anyway, problem solved, thanks!

Dombo
Explorer | Level 3

I discover the fault "Couldn't copy the link. You don’t have permission to create a link to this file" because I have sent an already existing shared link to another person and he got a 404 error.
For testing I did the same and also received a 404 error with both the same link ending with "?dl=0" and "?dl=1".
Also other shared links of files which are stored for years in my Dropbox give a 404 error.

After uploading a small picture from the Dropbox folder on my PC using the client, I got the message "Couldn't copy the link. You don’t have permission to create a link to this file" for this picture. I received this message in both the Windows file explorer as using the web interface.

After login into the web interface I can download the file using the same shared link from another tab of my browser.
In the web interface I can use the "copy link" button; it gives me the link. But using this link in another web browser I got a 404 error. While I'm logged in and use another tab of the same browser, I can download the file of the shared link.
I re-install Dropbox on my PC and restart it several times. No solution.
I don't see a banned link error message. There is no large amount of traffic because the files are small and there a few downloads.

What is the cause of this? And how to solve this?
The Dropbox forum doesn't give me the solution.

Need more support?