cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't put the folder on an external drive on MacOS

Can't put the folder on an external drive on MacOS

Sami k
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I chose dropbox just because it gets on an external disk, can't anymore? I'm totally frustrated,
last year 3 months didn't work at all for MacOs ..

20 Replies 20

BJRo
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Why on earth would Dropbox try and force storage of over 100GB of data inside the user /Library directory? How to fix this? With symbolic links? Help! Any advice? Was working fine before stored in a custom location under the within the user folder but in a different directory.

BJRo
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

How to solve this? Need to install dropbox on a separate partition, same drive.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@BJRo wrote:

Why on earth would Dropbox try and force storage of over 100GB of data inside the user /Library directory?

This isn't Dropbox's doing; it's a new restriction put in place by Apple. Changing the location of your Dropbox folder is no longer supported by macOS.

esf
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I absolutely agree this needs to be fixed. I am so disappointed with Apple, and this is a simple cheap-*ss ploy to force users to buy overpriced mac hardware. It is about as insulting as you can get. I love the mac only because I grew up on BSD, all of the new fancy bloatware widgets and now this insult makes me question why I buy their expensive and overpriced hardware.  I know enough about OS design to know there is no technical reason why cloud storage can't be placed on external drives. What utter rubbish.

esf
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi, how does this solve the space constraint?  

William H.51
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Can we use symlink for this destination to external drive? 

If this can't be solved, will be forced to start using alternative like Resilio or Nextcloud. 

Jonzinator
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Dropbox is blaming the Max OS? Then how is it that Sync.com allows me to store my data on an external HD as do several other services?

Seems to me the latest version of Dropbox is the issue not the Mac OS. If I wasn't forced to upgrade my Dropbox then my external storage would still be working fine for Dropbox. 

I have over 2 TB of data on my DB account and no way will that fit on my internal storage, time to move on. And no, I will not store it in the cloud only, that is just silly. 

I suggest everyone look at other services and see if they have the same issues.

Richard Schletty
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

I agree that this cannot be tolerated by Dropbox users. Something has gotta give. My 2016 MacBook Pro's internal SSD boot drive has only 500 GB of  storage which CANNOT be upgraded thanks to Apple ignoring "right to repair" and "right to upgrade" cries from its user base.

Looks like I'll be switching over to Box.com.

pete l.3
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Crucial, and central workflow for so many professionals.

Right now please.

Yegor
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This is a FALSE answer. Stop lying to people!!!

It was DropBox's choice to use this optional Apple library and that's the reason I'm moving away from DropBox after 10 years of use.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

skibum333 Explorer | Level 3
    Yegor Explorer | Level 4
    pete l.3 Helpful | Level 6
    Richard Schletty Collaborator | Level 8
    Jonzinator New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?