cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can't Display Link/The Link does not exist

Can't Display Link/The Link does not exist

MotivatedMover
Explorer | Level 4

Good Afternoon, 

Thanks for your email, We contacted you/Dropbox Support because we have tried the Chatbot, the Help Center and community 

multiple times with no success, this is the only way we could figure out how to get help, I ask that you please try to help us...The issue is we are Sharing a Folder to people and its (the shared folder) is showing that the people have access to the Folder in our Dropbox account and also in their Dropbox Account, however when they go to open up the Folder in their Dropbox it's says Can't Display Link/ the Link does not exist... How do you fix this? 

Best Regards, Motivated Military Movers 

63 Replies 63

MotivatedMover
Explorer | Level 4

Hello,

I understand about the phone support option and I know what subscription I have, however like i said in my last email, we havent had much progress with this issue so there should be some exceptions and this is taking longer than it should and we are starting to go in circles, additionally only doing support through email can lead to miscommunications/misunderstandings which can make this process take longer/not get resolved, I would again respectfully ask for someone to call me so we can resolve this issue...To answer your question, no I can not view the link you sent...but if your asking if they can view the shared folder on this page on their account?... I am not sure what you mean, wouldn't they have to have this link sent to them to see if they can view it on their account?  Please clarify what you mean...again this is why I am asking for phone support to avoid miscommunications/misunderstandings. 

RyanDJ
New member | Level 2

After many years of happily using dropbox I am now unable to share any files. Receivers get the message: Can't display link. This link does not exist.

I've checked all of my files and they are ok. I still have at least 1/4 of my storage space available and I don't use it too often so certainly don't exceed the amount I can share. Any help appreciated - thanks.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @MotivatedMover, I'm afraid there's nothing we can do about phone Support, since the plan of the account doesn't support it. 

As for the folder, let's try one more thing: can you try to unshare the folder, and then share it again with them, just to check if they get the same error? 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Sorry to hear this, @RyanDJ

If this is happening for your shared links, can you please delete one of them, and then re-create it? Are the recipients able to access your files now? 

Also, if you try to share a folder with them instead, do they have any trouble accessing it?

Let me know, and we’ll take it from there.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

JBND7
New member | Level 2

Hi, I’m having the exact same issue

MotivatedMover
Explorer | Level 4
Hi, I already tried this, one of the other Dropbox staff already asked me this, this is another reason why I should be contacted by phone, there has to be an exception to the rule for support in situations like this, please advise what to try next, thanks.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @MotivatedMover, regarding what Jay asked you before about accessing the folder from the "Shared" tab in the account; this is a page that is available to all Dropbox accounts.

So Jay was asking if the members of the folder can access the folder from that page. They can find it among the options on the left side of the Dropbox website here.

Can you have them try and let us know what they see?

As for you, @JBND7, are you having this issue yourself, or another member of the folder? Have you tried any of the steps in this thread, to see if they help?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Alain_Brassard
Explorer | Level 3

I have the same problem too, with some folders only. I noticed this a few weeks ago.

I have the problem on folders that have been shared with many people in the past 10 years without any problem (frequently adding/removing people successfully).

After years of working fine, it became impossible to invite new people (on these specific folders, other folders still work fine with the same people).

It always happens like this: The invited person receive the invitation email with the link, but after clicking the link it shows "The link does not exist" error message. Removing the person from folder sharing and re-inviting always does the same thing. Once a folder has this bug, it never seems to work anymore.

I don't want to delete the folder and recreate it, I have like 50 people still sharing it. It would be a real pain to re-invite everyone (and hoping it works!).

Honestly, it's the first time I have any trouble with DropBox. But this bug is pretty annoying

(yes, it's clearly a bug on DropBox side, I'm 99.9% sure here)

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Alain_Brassard, sorry to hear about that! 

Interesting. Would you be able to send me a screenshot of the error, in order for me to also have a visual of that? 

Does this happen with specific folders and files, or randomly? 

Let me know more!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Alain_Brassard
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Megan,

It seems to happen systematically on some folders, while other folders work normally. Once a folder has the problem, it seems impossible to successfully share it with others.

You asked for screenshots, here we go. My devices are in French, sorry, but you'll understand I'm sure 🙂

1. The email invite was received: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/73ankd8t2bwfp9pxgv3rn/IMG_0006.PNG?rlkey=4hfhvr1nkgvucu7dgoz52w5fx&dl...

2. I clicked the link on my iPad. It opened the DropBox application. In the middle of the screen, this error message appears: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/dr4o65ehmkbpyh9b1kk0h/IMG_0007.PNG?rlkey=1gltqjkygl2z5xh903n6owfed&dl...

Another example inviting another folder to a friend, which opened the link on her phone (Android I think):

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/2i09c5qit6xk2lvtfz8iw/395514832_1522029668334804_3937550537309832108_...

Just like that... could it be related to French accents in the folder names?
(note that this used to work, I have more than 50 people sharing the folder I just tested above, but it the past months sharing started to show this sharing bug)

Thanks Megan!

Need more support?