cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Backup an external drive

Can't Backup an external drive

guruuno
Explorer | Level 4

Dropbox Sync Errors I have been attempting to sync an external disk for weeks now, with no success.  Uninstalled, reinstalled (Dropbox), tried on a Mac, tried on Windows 10, and ultimately, got the OS to see the external 4TB disk on a Windows installation, however, do not see any success in uploading the data to the cloud, it just keeps showing the repetitive "updating dbxignore" updating 3 files, 4 files, dbxignore, etc., and if I wanted to "drag" ALL the folders from the external drive into Dropbox, it overfills the capacity of the resident OS disk, how does one get the data there and not while putting it there fill the local disk?  Multiple issues, hours and days, failed syncs, looking for simple, 1-2-3, put data from external disk on Dropbox and walk away, no babysitting, folder by folder procedure, and or getting stuck...Am I doing something wrong or is this a limitation of the software?  Even if I wanted to put ALL the data on the external disk and make the external disk the Dropbox location, I get messages about disabling, and turning it off, which I do, but I still cannot succeed.  Why is this so hard?

16 Replies 16

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @guruuno - sorry to hear about this and thanks for letting us know about the troubleshooting steps you've attempted so far.

Could you just clarify what version of the Dropbox desktop app you're using and if you have reached out to our support team about this?

Also, have you tried fixing your hardlinks and permissions since you first noticed this?

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

guruuno
Explorer | Level 4

The latest version is available, I can provide it next, but are you kidding?  Is this application just not supposed to "work" or are you saying I have to open a support ticket, go through multiple e-troubleshooting issues, etc., etc.?  Please clarify!!

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @guruuno, Walter is asking you some basic questions, so we can gather some info, in order to troubleshoot the issue accordingly.

Keep in mind that you can back up the following types of external hard drives to Dropbox Backup:

• On Windows:  NTFS, exFAT, FAT32
  • On Mac: HFS+, APFS, exFAT, FAT32

Is this the case for your external drive?

Also, does restarting your computer help at all?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

guruuno
Explorer | Level 4

NTFS/Windows 10, Rebooted 200 times, files start to sync, don't want files stored locally, can't "drag" or"upload" via web interface without filling local hard disk, would much like to just upload to Dropbox and access only on cloud and only have "symbolic links" on PC.  Latest, greatest Dropbox version (206.4.6506), keep getting stuck on a folder on the external disk called 'Software', Dropbox says 'Can't update "Software" file in use', yet there is nothing "in use" other than the folder living on the drive.  "dbxignore' keeps showing over and over and over in the pop-up bubble from the taskbar over Dropbox when I place the mouse pointer over Dropbox to see it's non-progress/activity, and the only reference to a file or 2 or 3 stating they are syncing/uploading, but never do.  I successfully used the Web interface and uploaded individual files from the external drive root, but interface does not allow "bulk"(more than 1 folder) to manually upload....so upon trying that for several hours and days, I had to stop because the internal disk of the PC became close to capacity with the Dropbox files, yet I only want them on the cloud, and reference links in the Dropbox folder.  It should not have to be so difficult, hard, and TIME CONSUMING.  I'd like to put the 2Tb+ of files on the external hard disk into Dropbox....simple request, how achieved?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @guruuno, I appreciate the info you gave me.

However, just to clarify, there are two ways of adding files from an external drive to Dropbox.

You can either manually copy them into your Dropbox folder, to actually sync them to your account, which means that the files will also take up hard drive space in order to sync.

Or you can choose to use our backup feature, to back up the external drive.

With backup, the files don't get moved to your internal hard drive, they just need time to get backed up and then they're only accessible from your backups page.

I'm assuming that you'd prefer the second way, so can you just confirm that you've used these steps to back up the drive? And are you having issues with this process?

Regarding the .dbxignore files, some external drives need to create log files to function. 

Dropbox ignores these to save space in your backup. To do so, it creates placeholder .dbxignore files that take up less storage space.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

guruuno
Explorer | Level 4

Followed to the teee-----will do again, for the umpteenth time and report back

guruuno
Explorer | Level 4

No OneDrive is running, No iCloud is running, NO Google Drive is running, Dropbox just keeps backing up/failing 3 files, all of the previously referenced items, no changes, nada, zero, will not work.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @guruuno, thanks for the details. At this point, I'd recommend contacting the support team directly for them to investigate this matter in more detail on their end.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

guruuno
Explorer | Level 4

How, by copy/paste these items discussed here or is there a phone number to call?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    guruuno Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?