cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Can I anonymously track the number of viewers and minutes a video has been watched on Dropbox?

Can I anonymously track the number of viewers and minutes a video has been watched on Dropbox?

MSS2
New member | Level 2

Dear all, from 

I have been sharing my free educational webinar video via the non-profit organisation's Microsoft OneDrive, but it requires people to register as OneDrive users, so many opt-out from watching those videos. I thought I could do that easily via Dropbox, but how on earth do I now track the video performance and get the reports? 

I need to report for the authorities financing the production of these videos the number of video viewers and the amount of minutes/hours watched of each video. This information HAS TO BE anonymous. I really do not want to nor cannot have access to the names of the people who watched it. I just need generic anonymous data on the video performance - but I do need it, or I will have to find another service.

If I do not text the videos, the videos can be only available for two weeks according to the local law, so YouTube is really not the answer either.  My plan is Essential.  I did find a file called send and track. Is that it? I merely drop files into it, and then I get the reports? Or do i have to do anything else?

1 Reply 1

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @MSS2, and welcome to our Community. 

Using Send and track is what Iā€™d also suggest based on what youā€™ve mentioned in your post; with this feature, you can send a link to your videos and users can access it directly. After that, you should be able to see advanced analytics on the file in question, like when it was viewed and for how long. 

On top of that, you shouldnā€™t be able to see the names of the viewers, unless you require them to enter their email address.

Please give it a go and let me know if thereā€™s something more youā€™d like me to clarify or if you have any further questions on this Help Center article.

Keep me in the loop.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?