cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being invited to Edit another users folder but it's 'view only'

Being invited to Edit another users folder but it's 'view only'

DavidAt
Explorer | Level 3

I have a basic subscription to Dropbox but I have been invited by another companies/users profile to be able to edit, and add to, one of their folders on their paid account/subscription. They've assured me they've done this with other people who use the same basic (free) subscription I have too.

However, when clicking the email link they have sent me, which says 'Go to Folder', Dropbox just opens a page that says 'You're account is out of storage' which is strange as i currently don't have anything saved or stored in my account.

The companies account is showing that I've been an added as a user that has access to this folder in question but yet I can only only see it in a 'view only' mode and can't edit or contribute to it.

Any help would be massively appreciated!

3 Replies 3

Mark
Super User II

Hi @DavidAt 

If it says you are out of storage that means the file they've shared with you is larger than your account quota hence you cannot add it. Thats probably why its defaulted to read only. 

You either need more space/upgrade or they need to make the folder smaller for you to access. 

Their upgraded quota doesnt benefit you I'm afraid. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

DavidAt
Explorer | Level 3

Hi mate, thanks for your comment. This company have said they do not need me to add this folder to my account but just contribute to it on their account. They've said the have other basic account users that add to the folder without these issues I'm experiencing. Surely i don't need extra space when none of the information will be held on my account?

Mark
Super User II

@DavidAt wrote:

Surely i don't need extra space when none of the information will be held on my account?

Yes you do. There space does not benefit you at all. 

So as I said the other people who can access it have more quota available - it could even be a few hundred MB which is making the difference. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    DavidAt Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?