cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An upload over limit caused my account to be locked.

An upload over limit caused my account to be locked.

dhtax
Helpful | Level 6

A file is uploding that exceeds my limit -- probably a video someone sent me-- so my acct is frozen. I paused sync. I cannot find the file on my Win11 PC -- I cant find a file or folder that size using DirStat.  I found one checking folder properties and deleted it. Also deleted cache and new files folders.  All now show as empty (I assume DB recreates them) but DB still shows my acct locked.

2nd Q:  Assuming this gets fixed, it looks like DB automatically upload photos and videos.  Is there a way to stop or limit that so this doesn't happen again?

14 Replies 14

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @dhtax, let's jump right into this! 

Just to make sure we're on the same page here: are you referring to a shared file, by any chance? 

When you check your Dropbox account online, are you able to locate the file there? 

You also mentioned that the account is "frozen" or "locked". Would you mind clarifying a bit more on this, please? 

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

dhtax
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks for replying:

• I don't know if it's a shared file but I suspect not.  I check.  Hang on, I'm going to reboot and try to check.  I have hundreds of shade folders, some on an external drive.
  • No, I can't locate it in DB or on my PC.  think I is only partially uploaded; sync is paused.  It does not show in Recents.
  • Locked means DB says I need to upgrade. I can still Open my folders and files.

dhtax
Helpful | Level 6

PS:  I cannot open the DB App on my PC.  I think I opened it before and paused sync.  Now nothing happens when I try.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @dhtax, thanks for the info! 

Let's check your plan page right here, to see what might be taking up all of your account's quota. 

What do you see when you visit that page, and also is the folder visible when you visit your sharing tab here

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

dhtax
Helpful | Level 6

OK,  MY Account settings show regular files 6.3GB, Backuo 0, Replay 0/ Shared Files 26.9GB which is what puts me over the limit.  Even tho I'm on a Basic plan I have a 21 GB limit because I got all my clients to join years ago.

HOWEVER, I can't find any shared file anywhere near that big via Propertied or WinDirStat,

but I think   I found the folder in my PC ext drive called Backups 

MORE: I've been moving files out of DB so Acct now shows regular files 4.8GB, Backuo 0, Replay 0/ Shared Files 4.8GB, unused space 12.1GB  and the over limit notice has disappeared.  Good!

BUT:  The DB cache file on my PC still shoes 46(!)GB.  Should I delete it (again)?

How can I keep this from happening again?  The problem seems to be a Backups file on my PC.I know I can exemp files on the PC APP, but it still won't open.

Thanks dor any advice.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @dhtax - I just wanted to mention that you can delete the cache folder again if you made sure that the app is 'up to date' and not still syncing your changes?

When it comes to the shared files taking up space on your account, do you maybe see them in your Sharing tab?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

dhtax
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks again.

• My  App still won't open in Win11.  Can I uninstall it and re-install it without losing my connection to DB? Alternatively, is the pre-App DB executable for Windows still available?  I liked that it put an icon in the system tray.
  • I  did erase the cache files and New Files.
  • Is there a way to know which Windows folders DB is set to synch?  EG OneDrive puts a mark on synced folders.  I want to make sure this doesn't happen again.  Or can you tell w/in the App if I can get in running?

Mark
Super User II

Hi @dhtax 

Just to add you wont be able to use any tools on your devices to find the large shared folder because they wont sync - so if you added a folder and it goes over the limit syncing immediately stops so it wont download. 

Dropbox will sync every file and folder that you see online at www.dropbox.com/home. So, if you  you don't want things to sync you need to leave the shared folders.

If local space is an issue you can use Selective Sync to totally hide from local device OR Smart Sync which doesn't download until they are opened. 

You can uninstall and reinstall Dropbox without causing issues 🙂

Just make sure you use the same log on details. www.dropbox.com/downloading

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

dhtax
Helpful | Level 6

Everything now seems to be working except that the DB APP which opened when I re-installed now does not open.  It looks like others have the same problem.  Any advice?  Do I really need it?

David

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    dhtax Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?