cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Added new computer and I want old files offline but old files downloaded locally

Added new computer and I want old files offline but old files downloaded locally

Doug183
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Setup / Basics

- I have a personal account with 2TB of storage.

- I have a "main computer" as an i7 MacMini running 12.6.3.  That computer is running the "older" version of dropbox because the dropbox is located on an external hard drive.

- I put into service a new MacStudio computer and added dropbox and signed into the same account.  (os 13.6).  ** I am not sure this is relevant, but I did use the same user name as the i7 as in the near future this computer is to replace the i7.

- In Dropbox, New files default is set to "Online-only".

Problem, 1.8 TBs of files download to the new computer.

This is not the behavior I expected.  Please advise.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Doug183 wrote:

In Dropbox, New files default is set to "Online-only".

That setting is for when new files are added to Dropbox from other devices. Setting it to Online-only will sync those files to your computer as Online-only. It does not control the Available/Online-only status for the files already in your account when you add a new computer. When adding a new computer you have the option during install to start with everything marked as Online-only. If you didn't select that, then you'll need to select everything in your Dropbox and mark them as Online-only, then give Dropbox time to sync again.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Doug183 wrote:

In Dropbox, New files default is set to "Online-only".

That setting is for when new files are added to Dropbox from other devices. Setting it to Online-only will sync those files to your computer as Online-only. It does not control the Available/Online-only status for the files already in your account when you add a new computer. When adding a new computer you have the option during install to start with everything marked as Online-only. If you didn't select that, then you'll need to select everything in your Dropbox and mark them as Online-only, then give Dropbox time to sync again.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?