cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access to shared file lost

Access to shared file lost

louisa4
New member | Level 2

I have lost access to a shared file on Dropbox. Every time I try to access the file via the email link I've been using, it just says "For some reason that did not work" (translated from German) along with an image of a french bulldog and an empty bowl. I've tried to use different browsers (Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge), but neither of them seem to work. Also, I've received a notification telling me that my storage space has been used up, although I haven't stored any files in my personal DropBox and I've only been using it to access that particular shared file. I'm pretty sure that the owner of the file has not removed me. 

My question is: How can I regain access to the folder? 

Thank you in advance, I appreciate any help. 

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II

@louisa4 wrote:

I have lost access to a shared file on Dropbox. ... How can I regain access to the folder?

If this is a shared link, you need to contact the owner and request a new link.

Also, I've received a notification telling me that my storage space has been used up, although I haven't stored any files in my personal DropBox and I've only been using it to access that particular shared file.

If you were invited to a shared folder, the folder would exist in your own account and take up space. If the size of the folder exceeds the amount of available space in your account, your account would be full and syncing would stop. If you're not in any shared folders, you may have the Backup option enabled which could easily fill your account.

So I guess we need more information on how, exactly, the file was shared with you (shared link or in a shared folder) and how you're accessing it.

Mark
Super User II

If the link isnt working the owner has removed you, or, changed it. Ask them for a new one AND make sure you have space available - if you don't it may not open on your account

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?