cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ability to hide "uploaded by" when sharing files publicly (current privacy concern)

Ability to hide "uploaded by" when sharing files publicly (current privacy concern)

coolarj10
Helpful | Level 6

Dear Dropbox Team, 

May I please request the ability to hide the "Uploaded By" field when sharing public files?

Often times on forums, etc., one wants to share a link to an image or video or other type of file that is in my Dropbox folder. For example, a video where I am troubleshooting an issue, or perhaps a helpful document, but I don't want my full name to be associated with that file.

Unfortunately, there is no way to do that right now, which prevents me from being able to use Dropbox for those kinds of community based situations.

Here is where that "Uploaded by" information appears:

Step 1: Right click any file in your Dropbox folder, and click "Copy Dropbox link"

Step 2: Paste that link in a browser in incognito mode, email it to someone, or post it on a forum.

Step 3: Open that link (make sure you are not logged into Dropbox so you can see what it looks like to the general public)

Step 4: When the page opens, click the "Open details pain" arrow button open details pain arrow button.png

Now, my personal information is revealed:

Lack of privacy while sharing public files 02.png

2 Replies 2

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @coolarj10, thanks for posting here! 

Your comments on our this have been quite helpful, and I will do everything I can to ensure that your voice is heard. 

I'll forward your feedback to the appropriate areas so we can continue to improve. In the meantime, you might want to use a third-party app that'll be able to achieve what you mentioned. 

I hope this helps! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Andreas T.6
Explorer | Level 4

This really needs to be addressed ASAP.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Andreas T.6 Explorer | Level 4
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?