cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A setting for folders which allows default to "view only"

A setting for folders which allows default to "view only"

pnclough
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I distribute daily via link a folder which contains a number of PDFs only meant to be read. [Often I send other similar links for folders meant solely to be read.] Some of the recipients are Dropbox users, some not. Currently folder links default to editing capability. If the link gives editing capability, there are two problems:

• Dropbox users find the space counted against their account (which they don't like).
  • For other recipients, they are asked to set up a Dropbox account for editing purposes (which they do not like or want to do).

The workaround is to make the link "view only." But it is tedious [every day] to create the link, then go to "manage," create a view only link, copy it for use. It would be far preferable to have a setting which permitted one to have the link default to whatever one preferred, including "view only." 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
2 Replies 2

CaraDBX
Dropbox Engineer
Go to solution

Hi @pnclough, 

You can follow these instructions to change your default sharing settings to "can view". 

https://help.dropbox.com/share/set-file-folder-permissions#How-to-manage-your-default-sharing-settin...

pnclough
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you. The support person on the chat I started didn't know that.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

pnclough Explorer | Level 4
    CaraDBX Dropbox Engineer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?