cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trouble signing into my account

trouble signing into my account

natashas1
New member | Level 2

I was having trouble accessing files through dropbox as they weren't syncing on the desktop app but I could see they were on the website, so I uninstalled the dropbox app and installed it again and now it wont let me sign into my account. When I enter my email and password is says "there was a problem competing this request" and does nothing. It doesn't matter if the password is correct or not, it still gives me the same message.
And when I try to click 'forget password' it gives me an error 500 message.

6 Replies 6

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @natashas1, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

May I ask if you're running any antivirus, firewall or VPN/proxy settings on your computer that might be causing issues?

If you do, could you temporarily disable them and try to install the desktop app anew?

If you get the same error, please send us a screenshot too.

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

confused123
Explorer | Level 3

I can access my Dropbox files via my desktop and everything seems to be syncing fine. However, when I attempt to log in via browser today (Mac OS) I received the "There was a problem completing this request" error. This occurs as soon as I hit the last character on my email address, before I hit login or enter my password. The problem persists on other browsers, other devices, and on my phone when disconnected from my WiFi. I can log in fine on my personal account, it is my work business account that is affected. Interestingly, when I type in colleagues emails to log in (again, before entering passwords) I receive the same error. However, I have checked and none of them have the same issue when they try it on their devices. I'm very confused, can anyone help?

natashas2
New member | Level 2

Hi Walter,

(I am now posting from my personal account because it is not allowing me to sign back into my original work account)

I believe the issue is with my account and not the desktop app itself; I was able to sign into dropbox on the desktop app with my personal account with no issues but once I tried to sign in with my work account I encountered the same problem.

I noticed that the 'There was a problem completing this request' pop-up appears directly after I enter my email. It doesn't matter whether the password is correct or not either, the same message appears. 

And note that I was still able to access all my files on my work account from the dropbox website but once I signed into my personal account, it kicked me out of my work account on the website and I can't log back on.

natashas2_1-1688769082925.png

natashas2_3-1688769255166.png

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @confused123, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

If this persists after rebooting your computer and router, could you clear your browser's cache and try once more?

If you still get the same results, please send us a screenshot so that we can have a visual too.

Thanks!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

confused123
Explorer | Level 3

I have rebooted my computer and router. I had already cleared my cache but I have done this again. Below is a screenshot of what I see once I type in my email address. If I press continue it loads indefinitely and the same error message displays.

Screenshot_2.jpg

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @natashas2, & @confused123sorry to jump in here! 

Is your work account an individual one, or a Business one? Is it possible that you were part of a Team, and the admin removed you? 

Also, Natasha, if you try to sign in using a different browser, do you get the same error there too? When did this start happening?

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    confused123 Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    natashas2 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?