cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: macOS Monterey 12 - Couldnt Start Dropbox

macOS Monterey 12 - Couldnt Start Dropbox

RobertPatton
Explorer | Level 4

bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 131.4.3968
bn.constants.WINDOWS_SHELL_EXT_VERSION: 48
bn.is_frozen: True
machine_id: dd8495f4-eeb6-52f3-a698-4cbb0543dbcf
pid: 3947
ppid: 1
uid: 501
user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='robertpatton', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Robert Patton', pw_dir='/Users/robertpatton', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
effective_user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='robertpatton', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Robert Patton', pw_dir='/Users/robertpatton', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
euid: 501
gid: 20
egid: 20
group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root'])
effective_group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root'])
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH: None
cwd: '/'
real_path='/'
mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
parent mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
HOME: '/Users/robertpatton'
appdata: '/Users/robertpatton/.dropbox/instance1'
real_path='/Users/robertpatton/.dropbox/instance1'
mode=0o40700 uid=501 gid=20
parent mode=0o40700 uid=501 gid=20
dropbox_path: '/Users/robertpatton/Dropbox'
real_path='/Users/robertpatton/Dropbox'
parent mode=0o40755 uid=501 gid=20
sys_executable: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
mode=0o100755 uid=501 gid=20
trace.__file__: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
not found
parent not found
tempdir: '/var/folders/yy/w1nv1hm92x1bn8cmjznvcs780000gn/T'
real_path='/private/var/folders/yy/w1nv1hm92x1bn8cmjznvcs780000gn/T'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 808, in wrapper
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 6525, in finish_dropbox_boot
File "dropbox/client/message_queue.pyc", line 307, in _wrapped
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 6052, in _init_components_for_account
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 5976, in create_sync_engine
File "dropbox/sync_engine_boundary/factory.pyc", line 226, in make_sync_engine
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/sync_engine.pyc", line 280, in __init__
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/modern_client/modern_client.pyc", line 219, in __init__
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/modern_client/base.pyc", line 152, in __init__
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/thin_adapter/in_proc.pyc", line 217, in __init__
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/thin_adapter/in_proc.pyc", line 587, in _init_new_engine_locked
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/thin_client/client.pyc", line 182, in __init__
File "desktop/extensions/nucleus/nucleus_python.pyx", line 76, in nucleus_python.NucleusSyncEngine.__cinit__
nucleus_python.SyncEngineError: "Initializing engine |>> Initializing filesystem |>> Attempting to register icons |>> fchflags syscall: _set_hidden |>> Permission denied"

171 Replies 171

drostow
Explorer | Level 3

I am having the same problem starting Dropbox with Monterey. I tried to follow your suggestions but can't find "Utility" in the Launchpad. I was able to add Dropbox to Accessibility and Full Disk Access. Thanks in advance for any help.

Jalenoch
Explorer | Level 3

Try Andrea solution is works. force quit for finder and give full access to disk via system Preference / security-confidentiality . Restart.

The question than is why full access is necessary with Monterey and wasn't in previous mac OS ? Isn't it a secuity breach ?

TillyT
New member | Level 2

Nothing I try works. I have 2 accounts in Dropbox, so the Terminal instructions does not work as it is and I'm not that familiar with it that I could modify the commands on my own. 

edit: I finally dared to download Dropbox installation file that @shinbeth recommended and voila, installed it and now it works perfectly, no need to restart. I did a virus scan on the file and found nothing suspicious. I hope it really is free of any malware. 

alicemourou
New member | Level 2

Can not start as well. After update to the macOS Moneterey 12.0.1 got problems with file syncing and now it is not loading at all

jsims1
Helpful | Level 5

I found the solution that worked for me on the Apple Forum.  Hope this helps.

Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 2.29.53 PM.png

aboxoflogic
New member | Level 2

Here's the REAL answer

With macOS 10.15 and above, some stricter permissions have been enforced which have probably led to the issue you are experiencing.

To resolve this problem, could you please try the following steps:

1. Click on the Apple icon in the top left hand corner of your screen
  2. Select System Preferences...
  3. Then Security & Privacy
  4. Select the Privacy tab
  5. To make changes, you will need to click on the lock icon, and enter your macOS password
  6. Select Full Disk Access
  7. Check the box beside Dropbox
  8. Select Accessibility
  9. Check the box beside Dropbox
  10. Now please, attempt to restart the Dropbox desktop app.

b01d
New member | Level 2

Good afternoon. I have a similar problem. I bought a Mac Pro M1 upgraded to Monterey 12.0.1
Installed DropBox is installed and it starts up perfectly. But sync fails.

I followed all the recommendations that I found in this forum. Nothing helps.

DavidMathers
New member | Level 2

This worked for me. Thank you. 

Davebuz
New member | Level 2

none of this works, and to be honest why should I have to **bleep** about with code to make a tool work.
I'll delete my dropbox account and use something else

jccastillo0007
New member | Level 2

I have the same problem, I have done the advanced reinstall process , but it doesn't work

any other suggestion?

Need more support?