cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't delete dropbox filepath from Windows Explorer

can't delete dropbox filepath from Windows Explorer

DeadlyEspresso
Explorer | Level 3

cantdeletedropbox.png

I'm having an issue with trying to uninstall Dropbox from Windows. While I was able to correctly remove the application from Windows using its uninstaller, it did leave behind this weird "dropbox" file path in Windows Explorer. However, whenever I try to click on the file path, it just gives a "location is not available" error message. Trying to delete the file path by placing it in Recycling Bin does not help either, as it does nothing. I don't want this phantom file path on my computer, since I find it to be redundant. Does anyone know how to fully delete the Dropbox file path from Windows Explorer?

8 Replies 8

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @DeadlyEspresso, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Have you already tried rebooting your computer entirely after uninstalling the Dropbox desktop application?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

DeadlyEspresso
Explorer | Level 3

(For @Jay )

I tried restarting my computer, but the broken "Dropbox" file path still persists. I also did check my list of programs, and I can confirm that Dropbox had been successfully uninstalled in the past. If restarting the computer doesn't remove the broken "Dropbox" file path, what should I do next?

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @DeadlyEspresso, sorry to jump in, but I just wanted to mention that this seems like a reparse point, probably leftover from the uninstalling process.

Have you tried right clicking on it and deleting from there?

Do you get any errors if you do? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

DeadlyEspresso
Explorer | Level 3

(For @Walter)

Unfortunately, no. Right clicking on the "dropbox" file path does not display any option to delete it. Trying to delete the file path by placing it in the Recycling Bin does nothing as well.

DeadlyEspresso
Explorer | Level 3

(I'm posting this again because I haven't gotten a helpful response in about 2 days, and also I want to provide some updates with this issue)

cantdeletedropbox2.png

I'm having an issue with trying to uninstall Dropbox from Windows. While I was able to correctly remove the application from Windows using its uninstaller, it did leave behind this weird "dropbox" file path in Windows Explorer. However, whenever I try to click on the file path, it just gives a "location is not available" error message. Trying to delete the file path by placing it in Recycling Bin does not help either, as it does nothing. I don't want this glitched file path on my computer, since I find it to be redundant. Does anyone know how to fully delete the Dropbox file path from Windows Explorer?

Even after restarting my PC multiple times and completely shutting down the PC once, the glitched filepath is still present. Right clicking the filepath shows no option to delete it, and checking "properties" shows that the file has "0 bytes". Trying to move the filepath into a more manageable location such as Documents just results in nothing happening or an error message. At this point, I'm wondering if I'll have to turn to more drastic measures to delete this glitched Dropbox filepath.

DeadlyEspresso
Explorer | Level 3

Another update: (recommended for @Walter  and/or @Jay , why aren't they replying to my updates)

cantdeletedropbox3.png

I got an idea for trying to delete the file; installing Dropbox again. It did successfully remove the broken "Dropbox" filepath, but it just replaced it with another Dropbox folder. It still shows no options for deleting it or moving it the Recycling Bin, though. Deleting this folder would require moving it to the Recycling Bin, but it's not working. I did check Dropbox's official article for removing Dropbox from your Windows PC, and it said that you needed to delete the folder for Dropbox by placing it the Recycling Bin after uninstalling Dropbox (which I intend to do). I think the problem for why I can't delete the folder is that "Dropbox" is listed as a distinct library (similar to Documents or Photos), so maybe this is some sort of failsafe for preventing people from deleting the entirety of their Documents or Photos libraries. However, this is NOT working in my favor because I just want to get Dropbox uninstalled along with its filepath.

I'm hoping that I might be able to use the Command Prompt in order to delete the Dropbox folder, but I just can't get Command Prompt working and can't figure out how to write an instruction to delete the Dropbox filepath.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for keeping us in the loop on this @DeadlyEspresso 

Can you try signing out of your account through the app's preferences and try to delete the folder again?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

jmj313
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

jmj313 Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    DeadlyEspresso Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?