cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Won't stop indexing on Mac

Won't stop indexing on Mac

msheppard
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I installed the mac dropbox update and the application began indexing my files. It has now been stuck for the last few days. I can only access some files. Many are now only available through dropbox.com and not in my app. If I add files to dropbox.com they are added to the indexing queue of the desktop app, but no progress is made regarding indexing. I've tried signing out, quitting, uninstalling, and reinstalling. I've seen similar threads, but no solutions have worked for me. Any help is much appreciated.

383 Replies 383

DanielSivo
New member | Level 2

Screenshot 2024-06-16 at 19.52.35.png

Sonoma 14.5 - Macbook M1

I tried everything, but nothing.

I cannot copy files from the computer. I will not log off and on because I cannot lose any files.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

@DanielSivo, what’s the app version of the Dropbox app you’re using? 

Can you also describe the steps you’ve taken so far to see what we can try next?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Lionade
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Ben,

with a basic plan i cannot contact support. Can you help me out on this? I'm stuck in Indexing after a macOS upgrade and can't get out of it.

Best,

Lionade

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Lionade, welcome to our Community! 

Would you mind sharing some additional info with us, in order to have a precise idea of what's happening? 

How long is this happening, and what have you tried on your end? Your exact OS, and Dropbox version would also help a lot. 

I'll be waiting for your reply!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Lionade
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Megan,

thanks for your fast reply!

I upgraded from macOS Monterey via Ventura to Sonoma 14.5 more or less in one go.

Before, I already had Dropbox installed using the File Provider (Folder stored under ~/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox instead of ~/Dropbox)

Then the sync got stuck for several hours on a 4 kb text file.

Then I logged out and logged in again as suggested in the thread above, leading to a new sync, firstly at the old location. Everything was fine there.

When asked to relocate to the File Provider location, I confirmed and got stuck with indexing, including the missing many of the files that were there before the relocation.

Now I started over (log out, login in, sync to old location) but am afraid to start the relocation process again.

Is that sufficient for the beginning?

Best,

Lion

Lionade
Explorer | Level 4

Oh and the Dropbox Version is v201.4.5552

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Lionade, could you clarify where you saw that files were missing? Were they from random locations in your Dropbox folder, or from a specific folder?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Lionade
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Jay,

There were several folders where there were just no files inside across the whole dropbox. Some top-level folders were missing, too.

It looked like the transfer from ~/Dropbox to ~/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox was still in progress, but there were no visible changes over hours. Furthermore, the Dropbox app told me the moving was successfully completed. And also the previous location ~/Dropbox was replaced by a Link to the new location.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Were the folders that didn't transfer over private or shared folders?

Are they shown as deleted files on the Dropbox site via the events page or deleted files page?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Lionade
Explorer | Level 4

they were private folders. I didn't check wether there were also shared ones in the group.

and no, nothing changed in the dropbox site

maybe some more info for clarification:

by now i logged out again and logged in again, making dropbox download all folders again to the old standard location: ~/Dropbox

Here everything is present and no folders of files are missing as far as i can see. 

Also, no indexing problems exist.

However, I would like to activate the File Provider and use the new location ~/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox

The only thing I fear now is to run into indexing problems again, since this is what happened the last 2 times i tried it.

I hope I could clarify the problem 🙂

Need more support?