cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Dropbox on an external drive with Mac OS File Provider?

Using Dropbox on an external drive with Mac OS File Provider?

cloxbox
Explorer | Level 4

Hi,

I am a long time paying customer of Dropbox. I'm very happy with the service.

The major reason I have chosen Dropbox over other cloud storage services is the ability for me to sync to an external drive. In my work I often have large folders added to my Dropbox and if it were to sync to my internal hard drive it would quickly become overloaded. When I learned that in latest version of Dropbox working with Mac File Provider will no longer allow users to sync to an external drive I was very concerned. Currently my system is still working, but I have found that is impossible to prevent Dropbox from auto-updating.

I am trying to get ahead of this issue. Is it just a matter of time before my Dropbox updates, moves to my local drives and renders the service unusable for me? How can you launch without such a fundamental feature? When can we expect the feature to be restored? 

Thank you

4 Replies 4

Mark
Super User II

@cloxbox wrote:

How can you launch without such a fundamental feature? When can we expect the feature to be restored? 

When Apple allows it basically. The changes are being forced upon them by Apple due to changes in the OS and not something Dropbox has done itself. Its something all cloud providers will need to do to work with the OS shortly. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

cloxbox
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you for your reply Mark. That is unfortunate.

Can anyone at Dropbox at least help me with how to hold off on updating my system such that I can wait until this incompatibility is resolved?

Mark
Super User II

At the moment its just a case of dont update to the new one within the Dropbox menus, and I assume, not upgrading the Apple OS. 

There isnt actually anything to resolve, unfortunately, the new set up is by design and working as intended. At least until Apple changes things it wont be changing back.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

BenDBX
Community Manager

Hi @cloxbox,

We've just announced the beta rollout of external drive support for macos on File Provider. You can read more here.

Thanks,

Ben

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

BenDBX Community Manager
    Mark Super User II
    cloxbox Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?