cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Unable to link dropbox desktop client in Ubuntu 22.04 LTS - "Invalid URL"

Unable to link dropbox desktop client in Ubuntu 22.04 LTS - "Invalid URL"

Cheezykins
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I've installed dropbox on my desktop from the .deb. On opening it, I click the drop down and firefox opens to a URL like

https://www.dropbox.com/cli_link_nonce?nonce=4217fadb61d996a55bdec9ec41eb48de

And shows the error:

Screenshot from 2023-08-04 14-35-04.png

I've tried all sorts, from rebooting to re-installing dropbox and wiping any remnants in my home directory, I get this every time.

How do I get this working?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Cheezykins
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I solved it, it was spawning background firefox instances at the same time that were using the nonce before it was then opening it in the foreground and showing me the error. I killed the process spawning the background firefox instances and it suddenly worked

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @Cheezykins, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Could you have a look at this discussion and let me know if any of the information there helps?

Thanks! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Cheezykins
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I solved it, it was spawning background firefox instances at the same time that were using the nonce before it was then opening it in the foreground and showing me the error. I killed the process spawning the background firefox instances and it suddenly worked

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Glad to hear it's sorted now @Cheezykins  - thanks for keeping me in the loop too.

See you around the Community and have a lovely weekend!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

jabowery
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

How did you identify the process.  Was there a race condition you had to beat in order to accomplish this feat?  Lots of people are running into this problem.

jabowery
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

USER
it turns out it is that i have one too many "linked devices" but one of them is the same computer i'm trying to reinstall dropbox on which only appears to be a new device to dropbox. i don't know where to look to find and delete the bad installation that dropbox thinks i still have
ASSISTANT
To address this issue, you would want to check your connected devices on Dropbox and remove the one you don't need. Here are the steps to do this:

1. Sign in to dropbox.com using your account credentials.
2. Click your profile picture (or grey circle) in the upper right corner.
3. Click settings.
4. Select the Security tab.
5. In the Devices section, you'll see the names of each computer, phone, or tablet linked to your account (and the app installed there).
6. Click the "X" next to the device you want to unlink/remove.

After you've unlinked your device from your Dropbox account, then you can link your computer again. You should be able to download files without any problem.

If you continue to have any issues, make sure to reach out to Dropbox Support for more direct assistance.

echoz
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I didn't know about the linked devices. I appreciate your answer but even that did not help me. Deleting them all, I had not a single device connected and still I received a similar nonce error. I'd logged out and quit Firefox altogether and still the same error occurred. I find the "accepted" solution is bogus information as far as I'm concerned.

Running "dropbox update" prompted a "proprietary" installation which I agreed to and voila! Once that was done, logging in, I had no problem. 

Thank you.

jabowery
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Yeah the accepted solution is unacceptably vague even assuming one has the same cause.  It looks like there are several independent causes of the same symptom.  Really bad design.

billrobertson42
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

What process was spawing the links? What did you kill?

ajtowlson
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello,

On a fresh install of kubuntu 22.04 I get the same invalid url. I have no devices linked. I have tried quitting firefox. I have updated Dropbox, reinstalled it. Nothing gets rid of the "nonce" url.

Something is broken.

Dropbox support - can you fix this?

Need more support?