cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We just wanted to say thank you! Check out our customer appreciation video here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ubuntu 22.04 LTS problems

Ubuntu 22.04 LTS problems

RogerOakes
Explorer | Level 3

I started getting this message when running Dropbox on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS -

dropboxmsg.png

So I went to www.dropbox.com and downloaded the current version .deb installation file and used gdebi to unpack and install it.  I get this message from that procedure -

dropbox_msg.png

So, now I can't use the old version of Dropbox which is compatible with my Ubuntu and I can't use the new version of Dropbox on my version of Ubuntu.  And, BTW, please note the 'LTS' status of 22.04.  I want to use the Long Term Support version of the OS if at all possible. 

I've realized that I can just use the web version of Dropbox on my Linux system, and I will get by.  If anyone out there has a relatively simple  (!) fix for this I would appreciate your help. 

7 Replies 7

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @RogerOakes,

Install your old and compatible version. After that try fix the issue using following shell commands:

$ dropbox stop

$ rm -rf ~/.dropbox-dist

$ dropbox start -i

Hope this helps.

RogerOakes
Explorer | Level 3

No change in situation.  Dropbox client still doesn't work for me on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.   Reverting to browser based client. 

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Can you post the terminal output when executing the commands, I posted above?

RogerOakes
Explorer | Level 3

Okay. 

Dropbox isn't running!

Starting Dropbox...[Errno 13] Permission denied:  '/home/roger/.dropbox.-dist'

/usr/bin/dropbox:303: PyGIDeprecationWarning: Since version 3.11, calling threads_init is no longer needed. See: https://wiki.gnome.org/PyGObject/Threading
GObject.threads_init()
/usr/bin/dropbox:453: PyGTKDeprecationWarning: Stock items are deprecated. Please use: Gtk.Button.new_with_mnemonic(label)
self.ok = ok = Gtk.Button(stock=Gtk.STOCK_OK)
/usr/bin/dropbox:458: PyGTKDeprecationWarning: Stock items are deprecated. Please use: Gtk.Button.new_with_mnemonic(label)
cancel = Gtk.Button(stock=Gtk.STOCK_CANCEL)
/usr/bin/dropbox:348: DeprecationWarning: setDaemon() is deprecated, set the daemon attribute instead
t.setDaemon(True)
/usr/bin/dropbox:334: PyGIDeprecationWarning: GObject.idle_add is deprecated; use GLib.idle_add instead
GObject.idle_add(self.loop_callback, *ret)
/usr/bin/dropbox:344: PyGIDeprecationWarning: GObject.idle_add is deprecated; use GLib.idle_add instead
GObject.idle_add(self.on_done)
/usr/bin/dropbox:341: PyGIDeprecationWarning: GObject.idle_add is deprecated; use GLib.idle_add instead
GObject.idle_add(self.on_exception, e)
/usr/bin/dropbox:309: PyGTKDeprecationWarning: The keyword(s) "type, message_format" have been deprecated in favor of "message_type, text" respectively. See: https://wiki.gnome.org/PyGObject/InitializerDeprecations
error = Gtk.MessageDialog(parent = None,
/usr/bin/dropbox:309: PyGTKDeprecationWarning: The "flags" argument for dialog construction is deprecated. Please use initializer keywords: modal=True and/or destroy_with_parent=True. See: https://wiki.gnome.org/PyGObject/InitializerDeprecations
error = Gtk.MessageDialog(parent = None,

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hm... 🤔 @RogerOakes  As seems you have customized your distribution - something in general not advisable if you're not aware what you're going to do.

Anyway... Are you sure you have not a mistake on type/copy your command output? The output doesn't seem to come from latest supported package version (2020.03.04). Just we be aware what you are running, can you post the output of the following commands too (both of them, not just the last, as you have done before):

dpkg-query -S /usr/bin/dropbox 
dpkg-query -s dropbox | grep -i version

PS: To be sure you run latest distribution fixes, you can launch in advance:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

RogerOakes
Explorer | Level 3

I"ll take your word that this distribution has been customized.  I have done that in the past when needed to support my customers at that time, but since retirement I have tried hard to leave the distribution I use for regular stuff vanilla from the vendor.  If this system is customized then my original question is moot.  I'll just use dropbox web interface. 

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Every Linux distribution has its own basic (and no so basic) packages set. This is valid not only for different distributions but for different versions of same distribution. Changing some basic package' version could affect the work of many different other packages (many things become deprecated in time and some of them dropped in particular moment). Such a package is Python (python3 in particular). The normal, up to date at moment of this post, version for Ubuntu 22.04 is 3.10.6. You have installed different version (customized one) and that's why you got a lot of warnings (aside of the bad Dropbox support). Most of the messages, you received, in your terminal are because of this. Probably you have similar appearances in other places (unrelated to Dropbox). That's why when you customize something you should be careful. Currently there is nothing dramatic, related with this - just warnings.

And NO, your initial question is not moot. Aside of all warnings, there is error message (at the beginning) that shows something strange. For some reason non-existing directory gets looked for. If you want you can investigate where this is coming from. It's still not clear what Dropbox package version you have installed - something that can be source of the issue!

PS: You may try workaround with a command like:

sudo wget -O /usr/bin/dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/download?dl=packages/dropbox.py

Good luck.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    RogerOakes Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?