cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Dropbox tray gets duplicated every time I click on the Dropbox icon (bugged)

The Dropbox tray gets duplicated every time I click on the Dropbox icon (bugged)

irisss
Helpful | Level 6

Hi, 
I have started getting this bizarre issue all of a sudden where whenever I open the dropbox tray, it becomes a mini version of itself within the tray (see picture). Anyone have any idea why this may happen and how I may fix this? The only way for me to now select anything from the tray is through this mini box which is quite annoying.

dropbox.jpg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

andersonw
Dropbox Staff

Thank you for the details about what you're seeing. Based on the screenshots, this looks like it could potentially be a graphics compatibility issue.

One thing you could try is to disable hardware acceleration. This will cause Dropbox to use "software rendering" which can work around compatibility issues with specific GPU or driver versions. To disable hardware acceleration, you can Control + Click on the Dropbox icon in the notification area, and uncheck the "Hardware Acceleration (GPU)" item. This will prompt you to restart Dropbox to apply the setting.

andersonw_0-1719619226291.png

Please let us know if it has any impact.

Could you also share a screenshot of your Windows "Display" settings? This might help us understand whether this issue is specific to a certain display resolution, monitor layout, or "DPI scaling" configuration.

From the "Display" settings screen, there's also an "Advanced display settings" link. Could you click that link and also share a screenshot of those settings?

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @irisss, and welcome to our forum!

This is odd indeed, but let’s have a look. 

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Dropbox app, since you noticed this behavior? 

If the issue persists after that, I’d like to know the OS version of your device, as well as the app version of your Dropbox app.

Keep me posted for any updates.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

irisss
Helpful | Level 6

I have reinstalled the app but I think its just broken. The installation was a nightmare because everything becomes a mini version of itself (duplicated). The tray is also not fixed and now I have to wait for everything to sync again.

I have Windows 10 Home 64-bit.  Dropbox version is v202.4.5551  

irisss_0-1719608046784.png

dropbox2.jpg

dropbox3.jpg

irisss
Helpful | Level 6

I would like to clarify that the small screen that now shows up is basically blocking the interface so for me to click on anything I have to guess where everything is under this fake doubled mini screen as the inputs can only occur on the big (actual) screen that we normally have. It makes everything almost unusable.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for giving that a go, @irisss. It may sound trivial, but have you restarted your computer, since this occurred? 

Also, is this something that you noticed after the Dropbox app updated to the latest 202.4.5551 version?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

irisss
Helpful | Level 6

Yes, I restarted it today before I reinstalled the app. It was the first thing I did when I noticed the issue. This issue started this week and it seems the update was rolled out this week too so I would assume its an issue with the new version.

andersonw
Dropbox Staff

Thank you for the details about what you're seeing. Based on the screenshots, this looks like it could potentially be a graphics compatibility issue.

One thing you could try is to disable hardware acceleration. This will cause Dropbox to use "software rendering" which can work around compatibility issues with specific GPU or driver versions. To disable hardware acceleration, you can Control + Click on the Dropbox icon in the notification area, and uncheck the "Hardware Acceleration (GPU)" item. This will prompt you to restart Dropbox to apply the setting.

andersonw_0-1719619226291.png

Please let us know if it has any impact.

Could you also share a screenshot of your Windows "Display" settings? This might help us understand whether this issue is specific to a certain display resolution, monitor layout, or "DPI scaling" configuration.

From the "Display" settings screen, there's also an "Advanced display settings" link. Could you click that link and also share a screenshot of those settings?

irisss
Helpful | Level 6

Hi, disabling hardware acceleration (GPU) actually fixed the issue. Its working properly now. Thank you!
Also, here are the advanced display settings

irisss_0-1719622274994.png

irisss
Helpful | Level 6

This is the scale and layout (forgot to add them before).

irisss_0-1719623145998.png

irisss
Helpful | Level 6

In case anyone else has this problem. I found out recently that I was running Dropbox on compatibility mode for Windows 8. I have changed it to run with my Windows 10 and now it runs smoothly. No more weird graphic issues. I have even turned on hardware acceleration and everything displays correctly too.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

irisss Helpful | Level 6
    Okaro New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?