cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Dropbox app doesn't launch automatically every time I restart my Win11 computer.

The Dropbox app doesn't launch automatically every time I restart my Win11 computer.

oreosmeow
Explorer | Level 3

I recently got a new laptop with Win11 on it. Got the Dropbox app installed, synced, etc. 

When I shut down the computer, then turn it back on, the DB app is no longer available in my system tray, and I have to reinstall. That works, but it's a pain in the butt.

Is there a setting in Windows11 that I need to set? Or in the DB App, that I missed? In General Preferences, I have the "Open Dropbox upon startup slider to the left.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

radical_exponent
Dropbox Engineer

Hi @oreosmeow, can you try going into Dropbox preferences and changing the "Open Dropbox upon startup" slider to the right (instead of the left), and see if that fixes it?

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @oreosmeow - sorry to hear about this.

Can you please let us know if the app does indeed get uninstalled when you shut down your laptop or if it's the app's icon missing from your task bar? If you search for the app after rebooting your computer, does it show up at all?

Also, do you have any security programs that might be causing issues by the way?

Let us know more and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

oreosmeow
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter, thanks for getting back to me.

After I wrote that first post, I did a restart and Dropbox is still in my program files that could be uninstalled. So, I guess that it's just the icon that disappears.

And I'm running the same variations of Norton that I ran on my Win10 laptop and had no issues there.  Of course, that's not to say that there are issues that Norton's causing now on Win11. I did have to reinstall all my software, though, and have had no problems running any of those.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

In that case, could you try disabling it temporarily and let us know if the issue persists @oreosmeow ?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

oreosmeow
Explorer | Level 3

I disabled Norton and it didn't help. But I did a search for DB, the app came right up and, after clicking it, it landed back in my system tray.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

I see, thanks for the update @oreosmeow 

If it's not too much of a hassle, could you try creating a new OS profile on your computer and try to replicate the issue there as a test? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

oreosmeow
Explorer | Level 3

Walter, sure but it will have to wait until tomorrow...just signed in to do a bunch of work that I have to do as me. 😉

oreosmeow
Explorer | Level 3

Okay, I created a new user and logged in as that user. The icon for Dropbox dropped right into the tray. I restarted, used my regular user and no icon. Restarted with the new user and DB opened right up.

I'm going to test something else, just for fun - my regular user doesn't have a password to sign in, but the new user does. I'll set a password for myself and see if that takes care of it. Perhaps DB is looking for me to have a password for the computer?

oreosmeow
Explorer | Level 3

Walter, that didn't work. I didn't think it would, but thought it was worth a shot. I can still bring up DB by searching for it.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @oreosmeow! Hope you’re well. 

When saying that you need to reinstall the Dropbox app each time for the Dropbox icon to appear, do you mean that you completely uninstall it first and then reinstall it? Or do you just go here to download it without removing it first? 

If the latter, please uninstall it next time this happens, and then install it once again via this link.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

oreosmeow Explorer | Level 3
    radical_exponent Dropbox Engineer
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?