cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: DB app uninstalls (?) when laptop shut down

The Dropbox app doesn't launch automatically every time I restart my Win11 computer.

oreosmeow
Explorer | Level 3

I recently got a new laptop with Win11 on it. Got the Dropbox app installed, synced, etc. 

When I shut down the computer, then turn it back on, the DB app is no longer available in my system tray, and I have to reinstall. That works, but it's a pain in the butt.

Is there a setting in Windows11 that I need to set? Or in the DB App, that I missed? In General Preferences, I have the "Open Dropbox upon startup slider to the left.

12 Replies 12

radical_exponent
Dropbox Engineer

Hi @oreosmeow, can you try going into Dropbox preferences and changing the "Open Dropbox upon startup" slider to the right (instead of the left), and see if that fixes it?

oreosmeow
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Nancy - no, I've determined that the app icon simply doesn't drop into the tray. I have to do a search for Dropbox and then the icon appears. 

Originally, I believed the app was gone, so I'd reinstall. But then, between Walter and I, I figured out it's just the icon that's missing and I have to search for the app and then it apparently starts and the icon drops in.

oreosmeow
Explorer | Level 3

radical_exponent - that worked! I knew with my old laptop that it defaulted to "run on startup" and, due to the laptop was 10 years old, I'd turned that off so I didn't drag my internet down. I'd turn it on only when needed.

With the new one - I SWEAR it didn't run on startup initially...so I toggled that switch.

Toggled it back and now DB starts up fine whether I do a full shutdown or a restart.

I feel really stupid now...I've used DB for a gazillion years and never had a problem with the app starting up when I wanted it to. Geez.

Thanks so much for getting my head on straight!

Need more support?