cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Take Dropbox out of Mac Library

Take Dropbox out of Mac Library

ShanaC
Explorer | Level 4

The Dropbox upgrade moved the dropbox files to my  ~/Library/CloudStorage/ --- but I can't save any files to that folder. 

All the online instructions say "do the advanced reinstallation per this page: https://help.dropbox.com/installs/advanced-reinstall " -- but the instructions on this page aren't visible;  the accordions don't open. 

How can I move my files out of my library and back to my user folder, so I can edit them? 

46 Replies 46

Andrew Parker
Helpful | Level 7

Curious lack of response from Dropboxers to this...

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @BJRo and @Andrew Parker, sorry to see you're having trouble with this. 

Did you manage to try the advanced reinstall steps, to see if they help?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Rich
Super User II

@Hannah wrote:

Did you manage to try the advanced reinstall steps, to see if they help?

Hannah, why would an advanced reinstall work in this case? Their goal is to move Dropbox out of the Library/CloudStorage folder, but moving the Dropbox folder is no longer supported on macOS. Are you suggesting that an advanced reinstall will allow them to bypass a restriction that was put in place by Apple?

Andrew Parker
Helpful | Level 7

Bingo Rich, without the option of moving Dropbox out of the user library, it is useless to us.

Michael S.197
Collaborator | Level 9

@Andrew Parker and all on this thread, I've attempted a workaround from another thread, but it failed in Ventura.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Apps-and-Installations/MacOS-13-0-Ventura-and-Dropbox-follows-OneDri... 

Mac were great, and the guy I spoke to is raising it to engineers.  If you have Mac tech support, then please do the same.  The more the wheel squeaks, the more likely to get our solution.
@Hannah the more Dropbox raises our issues to Mac, the more likely we can get a solution.  Please be activists on behalf of your customers!

Michael S.197
Collaborator | Level 9

Yes!!  @Walter your solution is brilliant.  @Andrew Parker did you try the advanced install option?

I still cannot backup Documents, Downloads and Desktop however.

MichaelS197_0-1668578057757.png

Is there a sudo workaround for those too?  Thanks so much!

Andrew Parker
Helpful | Level 7

Hi Michael, no I haven't! Where can I find this?

Michael S.197
Collaborator | Level 9

@Andrew Parker 

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Apps-and-Installations/Take-Dropbox-out-of-Mac-Library/m-p/635053/hi...

Follow the instructions in the link. It takes a while, and you might have to re-sync your dropbox, but it works.

Andrew Parker
Helpful | Level 7

Thanks Michael, just for absolute clarity, this means I can upgrade Dropbox, upgrade to Ventura, and locate my Dropbox folder outside the Users folder?

Michael S.197
Collaborator | Level 9

@Andrew Parker Yes, it does.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

eedis Helpful | Level 5
    genox New member | Level 2
    discofuel Helpful | Level 6
    Andrew Parker Helpful | Level 7
What do Dropbox user levels mean?