cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncing to my PC stops randomly and more issues with the app.

Syncing to my PC stops randomly and more issues with the app.

wallerlaurenp
Helpful | Level 6

Apologies for the aggressive subject line, but honestly, this is the most dysfunctional product I own 

1) Syncing to my PC stops randomly. The icon disappears from my dock, so I need to reinstall the software constantly (that was the fix recommended from Dropbox). I have no alert that files aren't syncing anymore, except that they simply aren't synced. This leads to corrupted files when I move between computers. PLEASE FIGURE OUT HOW TO STOP THIS FROM HAPPENING.

2) I can't access files on my PC that were loaded originally on my mac. Files appear with x's over them. See screenshot:

wallerlaurenp_0-1722913323783.png

3) I've lost all of the dates on my photos. They all appear with the date they were transferred to dropbox, rather than the day they were taken.

Come on!!!!

3 Replies 3

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @wallerlaurenp, let's jump right into this!

Would you mind clarifying the OS you're using, along with the Dropbox version that you have installed on the device? 

Also, when did this syncing issue start happening on your end? 

As for the grey X you see next to some of your files: This is a Windows icon and not a Dropbox icon. Keep in mind that while in File Explorer, a gray “X” icon can appear in a file or folder in your Dropbox folder sometimes.

It indicates that your file or folder may not be syncing with Dropbox. To fix this, please try the steps in this article about fixing syncing issues in Dropbox. If that doesn’t fix it, you can also contact Microsoft support.

Lastly, and as for the dates linked to your files/folders, please feel free to have a look here too. 

Let me know if you need anything else!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

wallerlaurenp
Helpful | Level 6

Nope - didn't work. 

The Mac is running Ventura 13.0. Dropbox is 204.4.5420.

It happens all the time- and happens randomly, ever since I got the PC in March.

The solutions didn't work either. I won't use the automatic sync because it doesn't work properly. And I originally automatically synced the photos and that was when I started losing the dates. Thanks for the help.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @wallerlaurenp, thanks for the info! 

Have you tried an advanced reinstall as shown here, by any chance? 

Also, if you locally locate your Dropbox folder and check how many files are in there, what do you see? 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    wallerlaurenp Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?