cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync to an existing Dropbox Folder (External Drive)

Sync to an existing Dropbox Folder (External Drive)

Elliot J.1
Explorer | Level 3

I had a Mac Mini M1 with a personal Dropbox account and a team Dropbox account.  The Personal Account Dropbox folder is on an external drive.  The folder is called Dropbox (Personal).  Everything worked.

I just upgraded to a MacMini M2 and after migration Dropbox preferences created a new Dropbox folder on my internal drive.

It is not in the Library/Cloudstorage area, I double checked.

Can I point my sync folder to the Dropbox (Personal) folder that exists on the external drive or is that a lost cause and Dropbox will recreate everything from scratch anyway (which will take days and then I have to go figure out what needs to be available offline.

Thanks

Elliot

3 Replies 3

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Elliot J.1, thanks for messaging the Community!

As you've mentioned that you're not on the File Provider version of Dropbox, this means you should be able to move your Dropbox folder.

Just to confirm, is the folder created on your internal drive also named Dropbox (Personal), or something else? 

Have all the files already synced down to your internal drive, or you did just start (and then pause or stop) the syncing after seeing the new folder being created?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Elliot J.1
Explorer | Level 3

Jay -

The Dropbox folder on the internal drive is called Dropbox so it is different from the external folder name which is called Dropbox (Personal).

Yes, all the files have synced because I forgot to stop the sync after the migration was completed and I restarted the computer.

Elliot

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Elliot J.1, sorry to jump in here.

If the new folder has already finished syncing all your files, and it's identical to the old one on the external drive, I would actually suggest you follow these steps to move the Dropbox folder to the external drive and delete the old one.

The move won't take as long as syncing does and it's guaranteed to work.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Elliot J.1 Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?