cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Spotlight Search Doesn't Link to Files in Dropbox in macOS 13 Ventura

Spotlight Search Doesn't Link to Files in Dropbox in macOS 13 Ventura

dsnidey
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

After upgrading to macOS Ventura, I was prompted to upgrade to "Dropbox for macOS 12". I proceeded with that, it moved my Dropbox folder to ~/Library/CloudStorage and confirmed all was successful. Now when using Spotlight to search (I often type something like 'drawings folder' to open a folder called Drawings) the results in Spotlight show the Dropbox app icon beside the name of the item I want (rather than a Finder icon for folder or file). Hitting Enter or clicking on the result switches to Finder and does nothing, or sometimes will open the Applications folder and show the Dropbox app. It's not linking me to the actual file in ~/Library/CloudStorage. 

I have done the following and the problem is not solved:

• Restarted
  • Ensured all files are available for offline access
  • Rebuilt the spotlight index
  • Unlinked Dropbox from this Mac, did a complete clean install of dropbox, performed the upgrade to v159.4.5870 and synced just one folder to begin

Nothing works. Any suggestions??

398 Replies 398

dp75
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

So I started writing this post, saying 'this worked for me... ' [see below]. I finished writing, then just to be sure, tried a few final tests (having already tested successfully on 5-6 files and a few different folders). Lo and behold, something happened in the background and whatever had been fixed, is now broken again.

I'm no software engineer, but from the sequence of what I did (and what worked when, then didn't), this does not seem to be an Apple issue per se, but a Dropbox issue (and I believe one that the current implementation of sync is responsible for, as it seems like it was only after I saw Dropbox sync'ing some recent files that spotlight reverted to its former non-functioning state).

I'm back to square one, but instead of saying F-it and deleting the whole post, I'm posting in hopes this helps someone figure out how to restore this basic and crucial functionality.

#longtimelistenerfirsttimecaller

-------------

Original post:

Apologies if this solution has already been suggested, but this worked for me:

- quit Dropbox app

- removed Dropbox from mac login items

- restarted mac (confirmed that Dropbox app is not running)

- rebuilt spotlight index for Dropbox location [per https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT201716 ]

- (I waited ~ 5 minutes to let the index start rebuilding)

- with no Dropbox app running, tested spotlight to search and open files and folders that are in Dropbox subfolders (it worked, including for the exact files that weren't working pre-workaround)

- restarted the Dropbox app

- re-tested spotlight file and folder search and open... and it still worked!

(except, then it didn't...)

planche
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
@dp75

You can revert it.
Uncheck all your folders in selective sync (dropbox settings)
Wait and check they are gone from computer
Unlink your Mac/log out in Dropbox app
Delete the Dropbox app.
Download Dropbox from their website again
Install like normally.
IGNORE THE UPDATE NOTIFICATION MENTIONED A COUPLE POSTS EARLIER
Works fine!

minpi
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

Could somebody confirm, that reinstalling STILL works? I did it 2 months ago, did ignore update notification and I am happy user again. My version shows a number 169.4.5684. But if I understand right, some users complain, they are not able anymore to revert, because Dropbox installs already a newest broken version directly?

dp75
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I followed the workaround on page 1 (and have ignored the DB prompt to upgrade) and it seems to be working.

Dropbox app v170.4.5895

glideconsultant
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

afaic: i'm out.
byebye dropbox

not only did nothing work what was suggested here (there was no way for me to not-install the dropbox-folder in library\cloudstorage).
furthermore i realized, that db lost data in the last few months. skimming through backups i found out that some folders simply and suddenly became empty a few months ago - obviously by not getting synced any more.

so i transferred everything to icloud (yep ...  from the ones that brought me mobileme 😉 and though its not as finder-like as dropbox used to be it does a good and searchable and launchable job - and you want nothing more from such a tool.

the only pain now:
i need to tell close to 100 actual and former project partners (yes, i've earned an awful lot of free db gb's) that i am switching and would suggest for them to do the same.

bye also to this forum, which i spent a lot of time with, but which was and will not be of any use.
thx + sry

barbazul
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

This bug is destroying my productivity. Please fix ASAP. This is the type of bug that makes you test the competitor's solution.....

minpi
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

4 months are gone and still no announcement or fix..

dp75
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

disgraceful

Greensandz
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
I’m in a similar boat -

dp75
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

have to wonder if some unwanted attention on the socials might elicit a different response from the DB powers that be?

Need more support?