cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Spotlight Search Doesn't Link to Files in Dropbox in macOS 13 Ventura

Spotlight Search Doesn't Link to Files in Dropbox in macOS 13 Ventura

dsnidey
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

After upgrading to macOS Ventura, I was prompted to upgrade to "Dropbox for macOS 12". I proceeded with that, it moved my Dropbox folder to ~/Library/CloudStorage and confirmed all was successful. Now when using Spotlight to search (I often type something like 'drawings folder' to open a folder called Drawings) the results in Spotlight show the Dropbox app icon beside the name of the item I want (rather than a Finder icon for folder or file). Hitting Enter or clicking on the result switches to Finder and does nothing, or sometimes will open the Applications folder and show the Dropbox app. It's not linking me to the actual file in ~/Library/CloudStorage. 

I have done the following and the problem is not solved:

• Restarted
  • Ensured all files are available for offline access
  • Rebuilt the spotlight index
  • Unlinked Dropbox from this Mac, did a complete clean install of dropbox, performed the upgrade to v159.4.5870 and synced just one folder to begin

Nothing works. Any suggestions??

398 Replies 398

NL8
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm referring to the pinned solution at the first page of this thread. It should not be pinned as it is misleading.

It is showing v168.4.4802 now. It is the same version as before and after the "macOS 12 upgrade". The upgrade moved the files to a new directory and Dropbox appears in Finder, under Locations. Dropbox also started indexing the files after the shift but after that, Fnder search also stopped working.

JoePL
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

@NL8, you are correct that @dsnidey's pinned solution should NOT be pinned, as those user's instructions make things worse. These exact steps I outlined undid the further damage caused from following @dsnidey's incorrect instructions or updating Dropbox.

What you just shared about how clicking on "Update Dropbox" prompt AFTER installing from the Stable Builds page shifts files into "Locations" suggests the steps I outlined may be the best solution for now. To summarize what you need to do:

1. Update Dropbox only using the latest Stable Build. This should put your Dropbox files into the old /Users/[Username]/Dropbox/ folder. This seems to play well with Spotlight. 
  2. After you've done this, do NOT click "Get Started" when prompted to further "Update Dropbox." If you do, all your Dropbox files will move to the /Library/CloudStorage/ folder, which renders Spotlight search useless, even if you try to reindex

JoePL_0-1677827457553.jpeg

This seems to be the best solution until Apple and/or Dropbox fix the issue with Spotlight indexing files in the /Library/Cloudstorage folder. I'm now on v168.4.4802, and everything works fine as long as I don't allow Dropbox to shift my files to the /Cloudstorage folder. 

NOTE: I have also noticed that my Box files also no longer index properly once moved to the /Cloudstorage/ folder. Therefore, this may not be specific to Dropbox, but rather, an issue with MacOS not indexing ANY /Cloudstorage/ folder properly. 

minpi
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

I am on 168.4.4801 and it works fine IF you DO NOT UPDATE!!! Anyway as this Spotlight issue occurred, I was on v163.4.5456. It means Dropbox Team updating this software continuously. Fortunately you can still get a version, wich puts all the data in user folder. As I did it this update already 3 times collaborating with Dropbox team and it broke my system 3 times, I am not going to do it once more again:)

DO NOT UPDATE YOUR SELF! Ignore this notification till it will be fixed

Bildschirm­foto 2023-03-03 um 10.09.11.png

RaeS
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Dang it. What if I updated thinking everything was going well, and now I'm stuck with the new version that can't communicate with spotlight.

Can we switch back to the old dropbox version that works with spotlight?? 

Note to self; don't update before doing due diligence that updates don't screw things up.

minpi
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

Yes you can. There a lot of detailed explanations on this thread. 

Simon223342324
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
I am having the same problem.

planche
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@RaeS 
Yes you can revert it. 

1. Uncheck all your folders in selective sync. 
    1. Wait and check they are gone from computer
  2. Unlink your Mac/log out in Dropbox app
  3. Delete the Dropbox app.
  4. Download Dropbox from their website again
  5. Install like normally.
  6. IGNORE THE UPDATE NOTIFICATION MENTION A COUPLE POSTS EARLIER

Works fine!

minpi
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

How can we mark for example your post as a    s o l u t i o n    for somebody, who will be the next one here? It looks like Dropbox team is not interested to help an ignores their customers completely. They could just switch off this update - notification, till solution will be found and this would stop growing this thread continuously. As I am already few months here, nearly each week there are coming new customers telling the same thing - it doesn't work for me as well, can I revert, etc. 

JoePL
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Yes, you can simply install an older version, but you'll need to first completely remove the newer version. I explained the steps I took in this post on how I did this. I know it's annoying. Good luck!

diethylether
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have tried this but to no avail. I have also tried removing the Mac HD from the Spotlight search index and then letting it re-index, but Spotlight (which was already garbage and is now even worse) still does not launch any files it finds.

I can open files from within Finder's search results, but within these, it is not possible to see the context menu options, like Copy dropbox link. To get around this, I have to Show in Enclosing Folder, and then I am able to to get the context menu.

From the posts I've seen Spotlight and this move to the CloudStorage section of the HD seems to have been the issue. Has anyone found a solution?

Need more support?