cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selective Sync should moderate it's disk IO activity on large hierarchies

Selective Sync should moderate it's disk IO activity on large hierarchies

paul_skinner
Explorer | Level 4

On MacOS Ventura, Dropbox 182.4.6427. Selective Sync monopolizes the disk IO when removing a hierarchy from the sync. With a sufficiently large folder, the reads from Selective Sync reading and hashing the contained files to verify their online counterpart before removal completely overwhelms all other disk activity. Maximum read rate is maintained until all files are confirmed.  

4 Replies 4

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @paul_skinner, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

If you're removing a folder from the selective sync menu, this means that it's deleting the local version of the folder, which would be handled by the OS.

Are you referring to adding a folder back to your Dropbox folder?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

paul_skinner
Explorer | Level 4

I am REMOVING a folder from Selective Sync. 

This is not accomplished by Dropbox telling the finder to just delete the folder. First dropbox builds a list of contained files/folders and sorts them by file size, small to large, then reads each one, hashes it and compares the hash with the online version. If it matches it is deleted. The occurs regardless of the sync status of my Dropbox. If Dropbox is fully synced I would think it could be simply deleted, but this function was coded to reconfirm each file. I do not have any issue with the safety / thoroughness being practiced here. I just want better behavior from DB regarding monopolizing the drive IO while doing this.

Disk activity indicates massive continuous READS from the DB drive even if no other activity except the Selective Sync folder removal are occurring. 

This may not be easily testable / reproducible without LARGE folders synced. 150GB folder removes just fine. I can watch the "downloading 2500 files" rapidly drop and complete. It still monopolizes the drive IO with reads, but completes quickly enough. Using selective sync to remove a 16 TB folder ruins my whole day.

I've also asked if there is ANY method to remove files from the local store that does NOT read the entire contents of the folder. There is not according to the techs I spoke with.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the info. We appreciate the feedback on this matter. We take all comments into consideration when improving the Dropbox site and services.

Currently, there isn't another method to activate the selective sync feature. If you want to prevent files from syncing, there is the method to ignore files from syncing to the Dropbox folder, meaning that they remain on your machine and any changes made to files on the computer or the site won't sync to each other.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

paul_skinner
Explorer | Level 4

On MacOS Ventura, Dropbox 183.4.7058. Selective Sync DOES NOT monopolize the disk IO when removing a hierarchy from the sync. 

Thanks Dropbox!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

paul_skinner Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?