cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove Dropbox options from the context menu.

Remove Dropbox options from the context menu.

pgr
Helpful | Level 6

Hi, recently Dropbox has started cramming my Explorer context menu with all of these options I mostly don't plan to use:

pgr_0-1677930157754.png

Come on. Do you think it's ok to just dump all your stuff in there? If every app on my PC would do the same, would I have to manage dozens of entries on that menu? This is terrible UI design, it's bloat, it's disrespectful of your users.

How do I turn that off? I only use "Copy dropbox link", not the others.

Thanks.

33 Replies 33

Rich
Super User II

@pgr wrote:

How do I turn that off? I only use "Copy dropbox link", not the others.

Dropbox has always had options in the Context menus. There's no option within Dropbox to remove them.

pgr
Helpful | Level 6

Ok, there have always been items there, just not so many. What would you say is a reasonable limit for any given app to place items on a system menu shared by all apps? I believe this will have to be a very conservative option - one or two at most. Of course, if it is configurable by the user, you can go further and add more.

I have 3 apps placing entries there, and I could easily have 5 or 6 apps doing it. If each would place 9 (!) entries like Dropbox, think of how functional that menu would become...

Also, how common is it for users to actually use some of these things? The vast majority of Dropbox users will simply never click "Send for signature" (or even "View comments", since we're only sharing with ourselves, not teams or groups).

There needs to be some consideration and some humility here from Dropbox developers...

FarelTheGiraffe
Helpful | Level 5

Recently I noticed that when I right click objects in Windows, the context menu is bloated with manu entire Dropbox items. This menu is big enough as it is, so I really don't appreciate to see those options everywhere, especially when the online/offline options are all I ever use. Programs like WinRar  offer the option to select which items should be visible. Dropbox does not offer that, and it is a problem that I found no solution to. I asked support, but got told that its likely the fault of ... other applications.... and I should apparently ask here. Can I get some help?

Some screenshots with examples can be found here:

https://sta.sh/21eprif3at0e

01) "Send copy...", such a scenario only occurred on a shortcut to a file not on Dropbox. Not necessary to me at all, but of little issue

02) "Send copy..." and "Copy to Dropbox...", such a scenario only occurred on a file or folder not on Dropbox. Not necessary to me at all, but of little issue

03) A unique 7-item case. Within DropBox itself, there was a shortcut file, one set to being available offline, and not only did "Send copy..." appear twice, which is likely a bug, but the first instance comes along with a ton of options:
- Share...
- View on Dropbox.com
- Copy Dropbox link
- Make online-only
- Version history
- Do not sync with Dropbox.com
- Send a copy...
Of these, I would only ever use "Make online-only", so this just causes unnecessary mess, and I'd appreciate being able to remove the rest.

NOTE: On a "half offline file" as I like to describe it, there is both an option for making it offline and online, and that's how it goes from 7 to 8 options

4) Then we have 3 cases where I saw 8 options:
- a shortcut on desktop to a file on Dropbox
- a file on dropbox, which was set to online only
- a file on dropbox, which was set to offline availability

These options are
- Share...
- View on Dropbox.com
- Copy Dropbox link
- Make online-only ("Make available offline" for the online only file)
- Version history
- Send for signature
- Send a copy...
- Do not sync with Dropbox.com
- Send a copy... (this is the before-last option for the online only file)
Of these, I would only ever use "Make online-only" or "Make available offline", so this just adds bloat to my context menu

5) Then we have 3 cases where I saw 9 options:
- a folder on dropbox, which was set to online only
- a folder on dropbox, which was set to offline availability

These options are
- Share...
- View on Dropbox.com
- Copy Dropbox link
- Make online-only ("Make available offline" for the online only file)
- Version history
- Request files...
- So not sync with Dropbox.com (this is the last item on the list for the online only file)
- Manage disk space (googline makes me wonder if this isn't "Manage backup..." in English, but I'm not sure)
- Send a copy...
Again, only those 2 are of any importance to me, so I find the rest completely unnecessary.

NOTE: On a "half offline file" as I like to describe it, there is both an option for making it offline and online, and that's how it goes from 9 to 10

I'll appreciate any help with the issue.

Rich
Super User II

@FarelTheGiraffe wrote:

This menu is big enough as it is, so I really don't appreciate to see those options everywhere, especially when the online/offline options are all I ever use.

There is no option to modify the context menu items.

FarelTheGiraffe
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind when my subscribtion runs out

rhkrhk
Explorer | Level 4

There are 9 (NINE!) dropbox entries on my context menu - none of which I want or will ever use. There's no easy way to get rid of them. I am annoyed by the arrogance of dropbox engineers who clutter my menus without permission. So annoyed that I am ready to drop "dropbox" completely and look for an alternative.

rhk

christianius
Helpful | Level 5

I agree - my context menu is suddenly flooded with dropbox items that I will never use.
2024-05-29_091700.png

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @christianius - thanks for joining the discussion here. 

Could you let us know your device's OS version and the version of the Dropbox desktop app installed there as well? 

When did you first notice this by the way? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

pgr
Helpful | Level 6

Hi @Walter

I'm the original poster of this thread, thank you for intervening, after so long.

My Windows 11 is version 10.0.22631 Build 22631.

My Dropbox app is version 200.3.7099.

My screenshot looks very similar to what @christianius posted. The problem has been happening since before April 23, though I can't be precise about when it started.

This is such an abusive occupation of an OS menu... as I wrote above, there needs to be some consideration and some humility here from Dropbox developers... please reach out to them. Thanks

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Peter730 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    Mike New member | Level 2
    TB_ New member | Level 2
    JohnCoool Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?