cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Popup window: “Dropbox.app” would like to access data from other apps.

Popup window: “Dropbox.app” would like to access data from other apps.

TomF
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have gotten a popup window several times recently on my MacBook Pro that says: “Dropbox.app” would like to access data from other apps.

Why am I getting this popup and should I say yes?

43 Replies 43

MarioC
Helpful | Level 5

Started maybe a couple of weeks ago. I haven't kept a screenshot but same as brownleepress below. I am using Dropbox Plus.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @MarioC, thanks for letting me know more about this! 

Since you use macOS, can you please try the steps in the following Help Center article, in order to edit or turn off your accessibility settings, to see if you still get the same results?

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

MarioC
Helpful | Level 5

No that article does not help at all because it refers to a dialog box which is only accessible during initial instal. Having waded all through I find this:
"If you want to edit accessibility settings after you’ve already installed Dropbox, follow the instructions for your operating system in this article." Sigh. Is now I have to go there and start again. I'll put it on the list to do.

joritian
Explorer | Level 4

Getting the same thing, but only started after I just upgraded to Sonoma (nothing to do with Install process or settings during install). Full Disk access was off, turned that on and said "Allow" to dialog, but don't know what I just authorized (is "access to other apps data" = allow full disk access?)

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @joritian - could you let us know the version and status of the Dropbox desktop app as shown in your menu bar? 

Also, can you have a look at the app's preferences under the sync tab and clarify the location of your Dropbox folder? 

If you could send us a screenshot of the pop-up as well, I'd appreciate it. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

joritian
Explorer | Level 4

Current version is:  v191.4.4995

The status is fine (checkbox, sync up to date), although have some sync errors on a few files.

In the app preferences dropbox folder location is the main user folder.

The screenshot of the pop-up is exactly the same as the one(s) already posted in this thread.

This issue for me now seems to be corrected after giving full disk access in security as well as responding to "Allow" on the dialog.  As I mentioned in original post, wondering what "access to other apps data" presented on the dialog is the same as asking for full disk access or does this allow some additional / different access then that.  In other words is the dialog message just poorly worded or really reflects a different behavior.  Again I am no longer getting dialog as of yet, will edit, re-post if it comes back.  - Thank you

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Glad to hear it's sorted now @joritian 

Let us know if anything else comes up!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

SuperUser2
Helpful | Level 5

This worked for me, so far. Seems like a Mac issue, as you have to allow Dropbox 'to control your computer' which sounds ominous.

The fix:

Mac Settings > Privacy and Security > Accessibility > 'Allow these apps to control your computer' and toggle ON.

nb123
New member | Level 2

None of these things work. This is becoming so annoying. The dialogue box pops up like every 5-10 minutes and sometimes it pops up several times in a row. 

SuperUser2
Helpful | Level 5

I take back my earlier suggestion, as it has come back for me, too. I keep clicking 'Don't Allow'. Have no idea how to get rid of it! Apologies for the earlier suggestion. The Privacy and Security > Accessibility action had no effect.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Miller A.1 Explorer | Level 4
    WileECoyote Helpful | Level 5
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?