cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Popup window: “Dropbox.app” would like to access data from other apps.

Popup window: “Dropbox.app” would like to access data from other apps.

TomF
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have gotten a popup window several times recently on my MacBook Pro that says: “Dropbox.app” would like to access data from other apps.

Why am I getting this popup and should I say yes?

43 Replies 43

WileECoyote
Helpful | Level 5

Sorry, I'm still seeing this annoying popup. Looks like we're stuck waiting on Dropbox to provide a fix.

radical_exponent
Dropbox Engineer

Hi everyone,

We've applied a couple fixes here, the latest of which went out in v198, but we're unsure if we've caught all the cases this can be happening in. If you update to that build and you're still able to reproduce the problem, please reply here! Any details you can add about what you were doing at the time you next see the bug, would be very helpful!

Thanks!

WileECoyote
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for your work on this, but the problem persists, at least for me. I updated to v198 on Friday and am currently on 198.4.7615. I have seen this dialog every day since upgrading to v198.

I power off my system each night and reboot it each morning. Sometime after the reboot (could be anywhere from minutes to a few hours), this dialog appears, asking if Dropbox can access other application data. I click Don't Allow. The box closes and doesn't reappear until the next day following bootup. It does this reliably everyday, and I have no clue what might be triggering it. This morning it appeared while I was in MacOS Terminal, secure-shelled over to a Linux box, so I wasn't interacting with files on the local Mac at all.

2018 Mac Mini. MacOS 14.4.1. Let me know what other information might help.

BenDBX
Community Manager

Hi @WileECoyote,

Thanks for following up with us. Would you mind if I reached out via email to gather some additional information?

WileECoyote
Helpful | Level 5

Not a problem. Anything to help get rid of this. LOL.

BenDBX
Community Manager

Great, I've sent you an email. Check your inbox when you get a chance!

radical_exponent
Dropbox Engineer

Hi again,

We've applied another fix here (many thanks to @WileECoyote!), which went out in v199 stable (and also v200 beta).

Again, if you update and you're still seeing this issue - please reply here!

Thanks!

WileECoyote
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks @radical_exponent. I haven't encountered this issue since upgrading to v199 over two days ago. Great work Dropbox team!

Miller A.1
Explorer | Level 4

I'm running Dropbox v204.4.5420 on Mac OS Sonoma 14.5. The error continues ...

Screenshot 2024-07-31 at 12.09.28 PM.png

 How do we adjust Preferences or System Settings to get rid of this error?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Miller A.1, thanks for letting us know about this.

Can you try to give Dropbox full disk access, to see if it helps?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?