cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Popup window: “Dropbox.app” would like to access data from other apps.

Popup window: “Dropbox.app” would like to access data from other apps.

TomF
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have gotten a popup window several times recently on my MacBook Pro that says: “Dropbox.app” would like to access data from other apps.

Why am I getting this popup and should I say yes?

43 Replies 43

joritian
Explorer | Level 4

You should be clicking "Allow" instead of "Don't Allow".  This is in addition to the changes you made to the privacy and security settings.  (I was a little uncomfortable too, not because I had a security concern so much as wanting an explanation as to what I giving it permissions to do, but no answer as to yet)

joritian
Explorer | Level 4

So did you change the Security and Privacy setting as @SuperUser2 described AND click the "Allow"?  The combination worked for me originally. 

Thoxig
New member | Level 2

I have been experiencing this infuriating dialog multiple times a day. In my use case, I absolutely do not want and cannot allow dropbox access to the documents I am working on or any of their metadata. It has gotten to the point that I am considering moving to another cloud service provider that will not do this to me.

Thoxig
New member | Level 2

To clarify, dropbox does not need this data to function properly for my use as cloud storage. That is all I want or need - secure cloud storage. It would be client-friendly to allow us to adjust dropbox.app functions to our own usage needs.

cm4427
New member | Level 2

Same exact issue here.  Every day or two I get this message.  I don't allow, it comes back.  I do allow, it comes back.  Dropbox created this prompt, so surely someone can explain why it appears, and the consequences of both choices.  Or not?  What's the status of these inquiries?  Thanks

SuperUser2
Helpful | Level 5
As no community members have been able to provide a solution (I am still clicking ‘Don’t Allow’ on the regular) I’m looking into Other Support Options listed on this Community page. If Dropbox customer service can address the issue I’ll report back.

BenDBX
Community Manager

Hi Everybody,

Thanks for reporting this. Our Engineering team has been notified and currently investigating. We'll provide an update here when we have more information to share.

Thanks,

Ben

WileECoyote
Helpful | Level 5

I've been running into this ever since upgrading from Ventura to Sonoma 14.4.1 a few weeks ago. I finally found this discussion thread, and hoped it would contain an answer. But the thread is four months old and still no resolution?

WileECoyote
Helpful | Level 5

Possible fix. Under System Settings, Privacy, remove Dropbox from Files and folders, Note: don’t just disable Dropbox, remove it. Then reboot.

Full details: I went into System Settings, Privacy, and removed Dropbox from three places: Files and Folders, Full Disk Access, and Accessibility. I removed Dropbox, I didn’t simply disable it. I rebooted. After the reboot, dropbox opened a dialog that told me, to get the most out of Dropbox I should allow access under Accessibility. I checked the checkbox to not ask again, then clicked Not Now. Next, I looked under System Settings, Privacy, and found Dropbox in only two places: Full Disk Access and Accessibility, and it was disabled in both places. (This is the correct setting. I would need to enable Dropbox in both places only if I were using Dropbox to run automatic backups, which I’m not.)

Finally, I rebooted a second time, and Dropbox is no longer prompting me to access other application data.

I hope this helps others who are encountering this issue.

WileECoyote
Helpful | Level 5

Update: After the above fix and reboot, I used my system for several hours without seeing the access other application data dialog. This morning after a reboot, I saw the dialog alomost immediately, clicked don't allow, and immediately rebooted. I've been using my Mac for several hours now without seeing the dialog.

I can't say for certain that it's gone, but I used to see it after every reboot, so my fingers are crossed. It's also worth noting that dropbox has not reappeared in Privacy, Files and Folders since I removed it.

Need more support?