cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: My work network is blocking Dropbox - can I bypass this?

My work network is blocking Dropbox - can I bypass this?

ikif1
Explorer | Level 3

Hello.
It looks like the work's network started to block dropbox.
I don't have access to firewall or antivirus on the laptop.
Is there some fix to it ? Or I just must to leave to use dropbox ? 

Thanks .

4 Replies 4

maher1982
Super User

Hi Ikif, If your workplace has started blocking Dropbox and you don't have access to modify firewall or antivirus settings on your work laptop, your options for a workaround are somewhat limited due to the constraints of your work environment's IT policies. However, here are a few suggestions you might consider:

1- Check with IT Department: Sometimes blocks are put in place temporarily or by mistake. Contact your IT department to inquire about the block and whether it's a permanent policy. Explain your need for Dropbox if it's essential for your work.

2- Web Access: If the Dropbox app is blocked, try accessing Dropbox through a web browser. Sometimes, only the app is restricted, and the website might still be accessible.

3- Mobile Access: If you have a smartphone, you can use the Dropbox mobile app to access your files. While this might not be as convenient as using a laptop, it's a viable alternative for accessing and sharing files.

4- Use a VPN: Using a Virtual Private Network (VPN) can sometimes bypass network restrictions. However, be cautious with this approach, as using VPNs can be against company policies and might lead to issues with your IT department.

5- Personal Device: If allowed, use a personal device (like a personal laptop or home computer) to access Dropbox. Ensure you're complying with your company's data security policies when using personal devices for work-related tasks.

6- Offline Access: If you previously had Dropbox installed, check if you have the option for offline access to your files. Some files might still be available on your device without needing an internet connection to Dropbox.

Remember, it's important to comply with your company's IT policies and security guidelines. Unauthorized attempts to bypass network security can lead to serious consequences. If Dropbox is a critical tool for your work, discussing this with your management or IT department for an authorized solution is the best course of action.

ikif1
Explorer | Level 3

Hi.
Thanks for your replay.
I use dropbox for my personal stuffs and the company uses OneDrive. 
I want to save my personal files in my cloud and not in corporative one when one day can get no access.
Is there any way to bypass the block ?  Maybe portable version based on web access or just to run 1 time sync manually when I need.

LangstonS
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I am having an issue where just the app is blocked, I am trying to unblock it however, all URLs and ports that Dropbox publishes are open. 

Do you know how just the app can be blocked? or Do you have the URL/ports specifically for the app?

Thanks

Shaun

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @LangstonS!

Can you check out this article and let me know if it helps?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?