cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving my basic Dropbox to a new computer.

Moving my basic Dropbox to a new computer.

Sandy76
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the Basic plan.  I have Dropbox on 1 PC,  1 iPhone , 1 IPad.  I have bought a new computer and want to move to new PC.  How do I do that under my current plan.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Sandy76 wrote:

I have the Basic plan.  I have Dropbox on 1 PC,  1 iPhone , 1 IPad.  I have bought a new computer and want to move to new PC.  How do I do that under my current plan.

First, make sure the files on your current PC are fully synced and up-to-date with your account online. You can then visit your Security page and remove your existing PC from your Dropbox account. That will free up a slot allowing you to install Dropbox on your new PC and link it to your account (there's a limit of three devices for Basic accounts). Once you've installed Dropbox on the new PC, all your files will be downloaded to it.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Sandy76 wrote:

First, make sure the files on your current PC are fully synced and up-to-date with your account online. You can then visit your Security page and remove your existing PC from your Dropbox account. That will free up a slot allowing you to install Dropbox on your new PC and link it to your account (there's a limit of three devices for Basic accounts). Once you've installed Dropbox on the new PC, all your files will be downloaded to it.

Sandy76
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you For your help.

janeburbank
Explorer | Level 4

I have a similar problem. I am a Dropbox Plus user.  My new Ipad doesn't connect me to my existing Dropbox account.  It only brings in a new account.  How do I connect my existing Dropbox account (on a PC) to my new IPad?  Is there a limit on the number of devices to be connected under Dropbox Plus?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @janeburbank, thanks for the nudge here.

The Dropbox Plus plan doesn't have a device limit.

About the iPad app, is it possible that you're signing in with the wrong email address?

Check your "Account" tab in the Dropbox application preferences on your PC, to make sure you're using the right one.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

janeburbank
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you Hannah. That did the trick. What a simple mixup, because of having two email names. 

I struggled with this for much too long before finding you!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

janeburbank Explorer | Level 4
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Sandy76 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?