cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: MacOS: No "Dropbox" in the "Location" settings of Finder

MacOS: No "Dropbox" in the "Location" settings of Finder

rovf
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have updated Dropbox on MacOS (12.6.5), and I have learned that I should know be able to see "Dropbox" in Finder on the left hand pane under 'Locations'. However there is no such entry; 'Locations' is empty.

I *can* access Dropbox in the following way: In the MacOS menu bar, I click the Dropbox icon, and then click the icon which says "Open Dropbox Folder". Then a Finder window opens, showing my Dropbox files.

I just wonder why I can't see them in just a normal new Finder window.

31 Replies 31

Buel
Explorer | Level 3

I already completed the File Provider update and it had no effect.

Having Dropbox listed in Favorites doesn't help when opening files from third party apps. Some will list Favorites from the open dialog window, but others won't. Without having Dropbox listed in Favorites or Locations, I must search for it manually (8 clicks/file) and my current project has 555 files that can't be opened by double clicking.  It's laborious and could be easily remedied (3 clicks) if Dropbox was easy to find (i.e., under Locations).

BTW, your competitor Box is listed under Locations.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the additional info, @Buel, I completely understand the situation, so let's see if we can figure this out.

If the update to the File Provider version of Dropbox was completed, your Dropbox folder would have been moved to ~/Library/CloudStorage and you'd be able to access Dropbox from Locations, so this is pretty strange.

Can you please send me a screenshot of what you see when you follow the steps I linked in my previous reply?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Buel
Explorer | Level 3

I've updated to the File Provider version 3 times and each time I receive a confirmation that the process is complete yet my Dropbox folder has never moved to ~/Library/CloudStorage. After a few minutes, an alert badge reappears in the Dropbox icon. The update process isn't working. Running 4th time now.  BTW, please don't label this problem as solved when it clearly has not been solved. This doesn't help others.

Buel
Explorer | Level 3

4th attempt to update, it doesn't work and the alert icon reappeared. At the end of the process, I'm asked to upload all photos. I click either "don't ask me again" or cancel. Could this be the problem? Updates only work if I choose to upload my photos?

Buel
Explorer | Level 3

Can I manually move the Dropbox folder to ~/Library/CloudStorage?  Will this cause any problems?  The update clearly isn't working - 5th try failed and I won't be trying again unless the bug is fixed on your end.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

I'm afraid you won't be able to manually move your Dropbox folder there @Buel 

Would it be OK if we sent you an email to look further into this issue internally at this point?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Buel
Explorer | Level 3

Yes, please email me. I need this resolved ASAP.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks, @Buel, I just sent you an email, so I'll see you there.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

nickwebb
New member | Level 2

UPDATE: I figured it out... The checkmark wasn't checked in Finder Preferences. It was just a line...checked it and it returned.

I'm having the same issue. I accidentally dragged the Dropbox item from Locations in the Finder and now I can't get it back. How did this get resolved? Please help.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Happy to see that you figured things out, @nickwebb!

If you need anything else, you can always give us a shout.

Have a great day!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?