cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac OS Sequoia is arriving. Is DropBox ready?

Mac OS Sequoia is arriving. Is DropBox ready?

cloudres
Experienced | Level 12

Hi everyone, who remembers the chaos that happened last year with the Mac OS Sonoma update and all the issues we had with DropBox? There was a particular version that caused syncing to go haywire. I remember it all too well, as it took us almost a month to figure out how to fix the problem.

What will happen with Mac OS Sequoia? I admit, I'm quite anxious and would appreciate some reassurance from the DropBox team.

Thanks.

52 Replies 52

minkemintje
Explorer | Level 3

Hi

This is what I received and to tell you the truth, I do not dare to use the terminal. 

But yes, there are big problems because the icons of sync are missing. After half a day trying and error and support to try the Mac completely dropbox-free it is not working.  I am connected and it is synchroizing in the right way but I have no any sign whats only online and what's on my Mac.

So here you are, if you can use it. 

1. Quit the Dropbox desktop app:
    • Click the Dropbox icon in your menu bar.
    • Click your avatar (profile picture or initials).
    • Click Quit.
  2. Uninstall Dropbox:
    • Open your Finder.
    • Click Applications.
    • Locate the Dropbox app and drag and drop it to the Trash. Or, right-click the Dropbox app icon and select Move to Trash.
  3. When the uninstall finishes, restart your computer.
  4. Delete the remaining Dropbox system folders.
    • Open your Finder.
    • Click Applications.
    • Open your Terminal application.
      • The Terminal pathway on updated macOS computers is /Applications/Terminal.app
      • Note: If you can’t find the Terminal app, check the Utilities folder.
  • Copy and paste the following lines below one at a time into the Terminal. Press Enter on your keyboard after each one:

sudo chown "$USER" "$HOME"

sudo chown -R "$USER" ~/Dropbox

sudo chmod -R u+rw ~/Dropbox

sudo mv ~/.dropbox ~/.Trash/dropbox.old

sudo chmod -N ~

sudo mv /Library/DropboxHelperTools ~/DropboxHelperTools.old

• Note: Don't type commands by hand.
  • When prompted, enter your computer admin password (not your Dropbox password), and press Enter on your keyboard.
  • The password field in Terminal remains blank as you type your password. After you type it, press Enter on your keyboard.
  • You'll know that these instructions complete normally once the initial line of text (called prompt) appears.

5. Get the latest version of the Dropbox desktop app. 
6. Navigate to the folder where you downloaded the installation file and double-click it.
7. Apply any  you had before the reinstall.
8. Select the Dropbox folder location, if not in the default location.

Important: This process removes the previous Dropbox preferences and configuration. If you wish to avoid re-syncing your Dropbox content, you'll need to choose the location for Dropbox to sync to manually. If you don't, you'll create a new Dropbox folder and start to sync your content again.

1. To select your established Dropbox folder on your drive, click Advanced Settings after choosing which folders to sync.
  2. Choose the parent folder of your already established Dropbox folder. For example, if you have your Dropbox folder in the path “/Volumes/DifferentPlace/Dropbox”, then select the folder “/Volumes/DifferentPlace”.

I will be looking forward to your reply to inform me of the results.

Regards,
Mason

PS: Check out our library of quick videos that’ll teach you how to get the most out of your 

cloudres
Experienced | Level 12

It's been two weeks, and still no news. What a way to treat customers, honestly. I understand a misjudgment can happen once, but twice? It can only mean that Apple users are not a priority for Dropbox.

marty39
Explorer | Level 3

cloudres: I have some knowledge of system debugging. It's not a simple problem. There seem to be at least two issues here, as some people here can get Dropbox to work by reinstalling, while others have to disable the Firewall, and a few seem to have tried both without success. Don't expect a quick fix.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

marty39 Explorer | Level 3
    cloudres Experienced | Level 12
    minkemintje Explorer | Level 3
    SS41 Explorer | Level 3
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?