cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac OS Sequoia is arriving. Is DropBox ready?

Mac OS Sequoia is arriving. Is DropBox ready?

cloudres
Experienced | Level 12

Hi everyone, who remembers the chaos that happened last year with the Mac OS Sonoma update and all the issues we had with DropBox? There was a particular version that caused syncing to go haywire. I remember it all too well, as it took us almost a month to figure out how to fix the problem.

What will happen with Mac OS Sequoia? I admit, I'm quite anxious and would appreciate some reassurance from the DropBox team.

Thanks.

52 Replies 52

Joelo
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, I have a similar issue. I have two company Macs and both are not able to sync files. They both can start the desktop application (even though it takes longer than it usually did), but files don't sync. The interface appears to be syncing (i.e. "syncing 12 files"), but nothing really happens. Surprisingly, the firewall (which I cannot change) has Dropbox with "Allow incoming connection". Somehow, the connection is still blocked.

I've tried re-installing a couple of times but this didn't solve the problem.

cloudres
Experienced | Level 12

@DBX_PedroI see you’re helping everyone, except for me, who started this thread. You replied days ago saying you would ask the engineers if Dropbox is compatible with Sequoia. I’m still waiting for a response!

I want to provide an update, but I can’t do it without confirmation.

Thank you!

DBX_Pedro
Community Manager

Hi @cloudres ,

Thank you for contacting us today. 

In this case we are still waiting on the internal feedback.

We will get back to you with an answer as soon as possible. 

marty39
Explorer | Level 3

Joelo: Just a thought: this doesn't look like one of the issues that other users have encountered and resolved. Could your company have installed some kind of "protection" that's interfering with Dropbox? If so, you might raise the issue with company tech support.

DBX_Pedro
Community Manager

Hi @Joelo   ,

Thanks for reaching out to us regarding this important issue.   

In order to circumvent the firewall blocking the app we can do the following: 

• Look for search bar
  • Then type terminal
  • When the terminal windows opens:
  • Type the following command

sudo /usr/libexec/ApplicationFirewall/socketfilterfw --add /Applications/Dropbox.app

It will ask you for the password of the Mac next

After this is done the firewall issue should be resolved.

Are you able to perform this operation ? 

Joelo
Explorer | Level 4

DBX_Pedro, as I stated before, I'm not able to perform this operation because this is computer is managed by my IT department (who also tried to go around the firewall using thee command and failed, got the same result). It is obvious the issue is with Sequoia and v208.4.5824 not being compatible in some way. I hope an update is released soon.

DBX_Pedro
Community Manager

Hi @Joelo ,

Thanks for getting back to us. 

There is another option for you to ask the IT , these are the steps : 

Go to the top left corner

press the Apple Logo

System Settings

Network

Firewall

Options from the Firewall

Untick block all incoming connections

Then allow incoming connections from Dropbox

Can you please ask them to try the above? 

SS41
Explorer | Level 3

Running on apple silicon (sequoia). Having a ton of issues with recently - not sure if it coincided with the last dropbox software update (saw last stable release was ~one week ago, which is when dropbox.com said it last received any activity from my computer). 

The app initially said no internet connection - which didn't make sense. After restarting the computer it was stuck on "Starting..." but never started.  So downloaded the latest beta and it connected and logged in and seemed like it was syncing. But then the syncing seemed to halt.

And a restart later we're back to hanging on starting. Not sure what the issue is. I'll uninstall and reinstall the beta again.

Mark
Super User II

Hi @SS41 

Do you have the Apple firewall enabled? I've seen a post or two saying that its blocking Dropbox. Can you try disabling that for a few mins and see if it works?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

SS41
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks @Mark . I actually tried that when the issue first arose and it didn't seem to make a difference. Post restart it was stuck on "starting."  The issue seems to have resolved after I installed the latest beta - it now starts and syncs automatically on restart. I also removed some large parallels disk files from the drive so not sure if that was causing issues too.

Thanks!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

marty39 Explorer | Level 3
    cloudres Experienced | Level 12
    minkemintje Explorer | Level 3
    SS41 Explorer | Level 3
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?