cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac OS Sequoia is arriving. Is DropBox ready?

Mac OS Sequoia is arriving. Is DropBox ready?

cloudres
Experienced | Level 12

Hi everyone, who remembers the chaos that happened last year with the Mac OS Sonoma update and all the issues we had with DropBox? There was a particular version that caused syncing to go haywire. I remember it all too well, as it took us almost a month to figure out how to fix the problem.

What will happen with Mac OS Sequoia? I admit, I'm quite anxious and would appreciate some reassurance from the DropBox team.

Thanks.

52 Replies 52

cloudres
Experienced | Level 12
A week has passed, and I still haven't figured out if DropBox is compatible with Sequoia or if it's just a matter of luck.

DBX_Pedro
Community Manager

Hi @marty39 ,

Thanks for reaching out on this.

Let's get into it straight away, a possible resolution you can follow in the Mac is :

• Look for search bar 
  • Then type terminal
  • When the terminal windows opens:
  • Type the following command

sudo /usr/libexec/ApplicationFirewall/socketfilterfw --add /Applications/Dropbox.app

It will ask you for the password of the Mac next after this is introduced can you please see if the issue persists in the dropbox app ?

This was suggested previously by @Surething and has helped a couple of people already.

Can you please test this and get back to us? 

arnabghosh
Explorer | Level 4

Hi,

I am able to access Dropbox after disabling firewall, not with firewall enabled.

marty39
Explorer | Level 3

DBX_Pedro: That command worked for me. It changed Dropbox from block to allow in Firewall.

I tried other options to that command, and --remove doesn't seem to work. But --add did work.

eaceti
Explorer | Level 4

This command line fixed the problem. Thank you!

The issue came from the firewall, even after uninstall/reinstall and reboots, Dropbox app was always blocked in the osx firewall options. After the command it's now Enabled.

DBX_Pedro
Community Manager

Hi everyone,

We've notified our Engineering team that Dropbox is not starting on Sequoia for some users, and we are currently investigating. We may need to reach out to affected users. We'll provide an update here when we have more to share.

We greatly appreciate your understanding and patience over this period.

xvzCtBgL
Helpful | Level 6

My firewall is turned off. Dropbox would not start after upgrading to Sequoia. Reinstalling the app fixed the problem. Dropbox started and it is now syncing files.

mspink
Explorer | Level 4

I have a company-issued Macbook and am unable to make changes to our Firewall settings. Surely this isn't the only fix 😤

DBX_Pedro
Community Manager

Hi @mspink ,

Thanks for reaching out. Keep in mind that company issued Laptops in general might be limited to the restrictions set by them. 

Can you please try instead the following steps: 

• Go to the top left corner of the screen 
  • click on the apple
  • System Settings
  • Network
  • Firewall
  • Options from the Firewall
  • Untick block all incoming connections
  • Then allow incoming connections from Dropbox

Can you please test and get back to us? 

mspink
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, the settings on the laptop won't allow me to make changes to the firewall.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

marty39 Explorer | Level 3
    cloudres Experienced | Level 12
    minkemintje Explorer | Level 3
    SS41 Explorer | Level 3
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?