cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox File Provider on the Mac - totally broken

Issues with Dropbox File Provider on the Mac

palebluedot1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am writing this both on behalf of myself (personal pro account), but also a company I am director (business account). But moreover,  as member of a large ongoing discussion with a number of other professionals who, like myself work in the music industry who are experiencing huge issues with the new file provider version of dropbox. Many of whom are already leaving dropbox

I appreciate that it is Apple that have enforced the new API. However, the new version is not fit for purpose for the following reasons:

1> Not being able to keep dropbox on an external drive is an essential for people like myself who have large projects that they need to share with other collaborators, but need ready access to. It is simply not realistic or possible to try and have all this data on the main SSD. In my case I have a Mac mini with 256GB SSD as a server for my assistants and I, connected to a much larger drive array.

2>uploads/downlaods are broken with the new fileprovider. I've been waiting 2 days for files to upload that should have taken 2 hours. Files randomly appear suddenly switch to online only, some files never upload and some never download. The basic function of dropbox is not working

3>Dropbox is deleting files randomly. This is the most worying of all. A number of files have either been deleted (and I've had to recover from deleted files and time machine) OR in the case of logic projects, the .logicx files are dissapearing randomly

My main computer is a Mac Studio M2, running Ventura but we are also experiencing the same issues on M1 Mac Studios on monteray and Mac mini M1 on monteray

Can dropbox tell us that there is a pathway in place to resolve this, or should we just cancel our subscriptions now

25 Replies 25

Tripwires
Explorer | Level 3
For what it’s worth, Logic support told me on the phone to NEVER store live Logic Pro files on Dropbox, as this risks corruption. This is with or without the update. They have always / will always recommend against it.

To safely store a Logic Pro file on Dropbox or for that matter any cloud service INCLUDING iCloud, one MUST compress the file / folder first.

Thanks
Sam

Benjamin Gordon
Helpful | Level 5
i’ve been storing logic pro docs in dropbox for years and years - NEVER had an issue.

iCloud Drive is the opposite - deleting files randomly. Chaos!

wareynolds96
Helpful | Level 5

Hi @Jay @Hannah 

Logic has just updated to Logic Pro 11 and I wanted to find out if there has been any change in regards to syncing .logicx (Logic Pro Files) to Dropbox on Mac OS File Provider?

We have looked at other cloud storage providers on the Mac OS File Provider framework like Box and Tresorit and they are both able to sync .logicx files with no issues. This would then mean it is a Dropbox issue not an Apple issue. 

If you have any update that would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

Will

wareynolds96
Helpful | Level 5

Hi @Megan 

Logic has just updated to Logic Pro 11 and I wanted to find out if there has been any change in regards to syncing .logicx (Logic Pro Files) to Dropbox on Mac OS File Provider?

We have looked at other cloud storage providers on the Mac OS File Provider framework like Box and Tresorit and they are both able to sync .logicx files with no issues. This would then mean it is a Dropbox issue not an Apple issue. 

If you have any update that would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

Will

BenDBX
Community Manager
Go to solution

Hi Everybody,

I can confirm that logic pro files are blocked from being used while File Provider is in sync provide. You can read more in this Help Center article about expected changes and incompatibilities with File Provider.

Our team is aware of incompatibility between File Provider and certain filetypes' ability to sync. If this changes in future updates to File Provider, we will be sure to let you know.

Thanks,

Ben

wareynolds96
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Ben,

Thank you for responding. Unfortunately as I have mentioned on the other forums this does not seem to be an Apple file provider issue.

We have tested other platforms which are running on Apple's file provider system such as Tresorit, Google Drive and Box and the syncing of logic pro files is completely fine. 

Furthermore the link provided on your help centre article that pertains to logic pro files not syncing is actually nothing to do with file provider, dropbox or logic. The link you have provided pertains to iCloud drive and is a vague forum post.

In addition to the above, I believe Apple announced file provider in 2021 which would be 2 years after this post you have linked to your help centre was released (the forum was posted in 2019).

All this to say the evidence strongly suggests that Dropbox is the issue here not Apple as other cloud storage providers are able to sync logic pro files with no issue whatsoever. 

Businesses like ourselves who have used Dropbox for years need this issue to be fixed and it really seems like it is possible given the above. Please consider all of this information and try to find a fix as soon as possible. 

Thanks

Will

Need more support?