cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to stop using File Provider?

Is there a way to stop using File Provider?

besser26
Helpful | Level 6

I have an M1 Mac Mini with Dropbox installed since Monetary, and I think it automatically started using File Provider, because it installed the DB folder in Cloudstorage. I just got a Macbook Air, running Ventura. I downloaded and installed Dropbox on the Air, and it asked if I wanted to use File Provider. I selected No, and it installed the DB folder in my User folder, which is great. I prefer this, since there are issues with using File Provider. I wanted to do the same on my Mac Mini, so I upgraded my Mini to Ventura. Then I thoroughly uninstalled Dropbox (I needed to use Terminal to get rid of the DB folder from the Cloudstorage folder), restarted my computer, installed Dropbox again, but it automatically installed using File Provider, putting the darn DB folder in the darn Cloudstorage folder again. Ugh! It's like some preferences were still on my computer, but nowhere I can think to look. I did remove the DB folder from Application Support as well. I also checked Activity Monitor as well to make sure nothing DB was running.

Bottom line: How can I revert back to NOT using File Provider, and not having the DB folder in the Cloudstorage folder? I know it's possible not to use File Provider in Ventura 13.6.1 because this is happening right now on my M1 Macbook Air running the same exact OS as my Mini. DB version is also the same on both computers (187.4.5691)

3 Replies 3

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @besser26, I hope you're doing well!

Unfortunately, it is not possible for you to revert to the previous version of the app the way they were before File Provider. 

The updated Dropbox for macOS on File Provider experience was developed to adhere to the requirement as set out by Apple and to ensure the best possible experience for our Mac users long into the future.

I’ll be happy to pass along your feedback to our Product team, and help you in any way possible.

Let me know if you need more help!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

besser26
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, from others' experiences, it seems anything but the best possible experience for those using Sonoma. Do you have any idea when the issues with Sonoma will be resolved?

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi from me as well, @besser26! We can’t provide any timeframes, I’m afraid. 

If you’re having any specific issues though while using your desktop app with File Provider/macOS Sonoma, please let me know.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    besser26 Helpful | Level 6
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?