cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Impossible to access my files (documents, downloads and desktop) on Mac because of Dropbox sync

Impossible to access my files (documents, downloads and desktop) on Mac because of Dropbox sync

Jeremybenhamou
Explorer | Level 4

Hello, 

In 2020, I worked for a company and I had to download Dropbox on my computer. Since 1 week, I encountered a big issue with my Mac since I can no longer access all my files. For example, when I try to open my file Documents it says ""Documents" cannot be opened because the original item cannot be found.". I called Apple's customer service and after few days of research, it appears that this problem is caused by the Dropbox syncronization.  As I understood it, they told me that my files still exist but it's somewhere on my Mac and that Dropbox bloc the access. The problem is that since I have no news form the company and I don't know if it still exist. Therefore I can't access the account I used when I was working with them. 

Is there someone who had the same problem or is there anyway to contact Dropbox's customer support ? 

Thank you in advance

47 Replies 47

immo
Explorer | Level 3

Dropbox backup is NOT enabled for those two folders. Only the content of the Dropbox folder is synced.

immo
Explorer | Level 3

After restarting my computer, also the Desktop folder works as expected now. Thanks again for your help.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Sounds like everything is back on track now, right @immo

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

immo
Explorer | Level 3

Yes, thanks.

ukpoppet
Explorer | Level 3

Hello -
I've noticed that I can no longer access my desktop folder on my MacBook Air 2020 (running Ventura).
It shows as an alias and shows the folder as empty (which it certainly isn't) and when I try to view my Desktop from the sidebar of a Finder window, I get this error:

"The folder “Desktop” can’t be opened because you don’t have permission to see its contents."

When I click on "get info" it lists the original location as:

/Users/[my name]/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox/My Mac (MacBook-Pro)/Desktop

I've seen posts suggesting I change the permissions to give myself permission to access this folder but in "Get Info" I don't see a lock icon, or anywhere where I can change permissions. 

What do I do to fix this? 

Thanks so much.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @ukpoppet, welcome to our Community! 

It sounds like an odd situation there. I did my research, and found these steps on Apple's side, that tell you how to change permissions for the path.

Can you give this one a go, and let me know how it goes? 

Keep me posted!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

ukpoppet
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Megan.

The problem is, when I open "Get Info", there is no "Sharing and Permissions" arrow / section.

Any ideas what else I can try?

Jamie

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @ukpoppet, happy Monday! 

Can you send me a screenshot of what you see on your end, please? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

ukpoppet
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Megan!

I managed to fix it by finding the source of the original folder from the Alias.

And *that* folder allowed me to change permissions. 

Thanks for your help!

Jamie

Scott B.35
Explorer | Level 3

You talks about problems and act like you are providing solutions but don't and instead  ask for screenshots. If you truly wanted to help you would have the different types of computers to see what we are dealing with rather than claims that the problems are resolved. In my case it says to disable the back up and it should replace the files - but doesn't. The back up has been disabled. It says reinstall dropbox and I did and still nothing. I have lost my desktop, documents and download files on my Mac. It is unbelievable you can't fix this problem. 

Need more support?