cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Impossible to access my files (documents, downloads and desktop) on Mac because of Dropbox sync

Impossible to access my files (documents, downloads and desktop) on Mac because of Dropbox sync

Jeremybenhamou
Explorer | Level 4

Hello, 

In 2020, I worked for a company and I had to download Dropbox on my computer. Since 1 week, I encountered a big issue with my Mac since I can no longer access all my files. For example, when I try to open my file Documents it says ""Documents" cannot be opened because the original item cannot be found.". I called Apple's customer service and after few days of research, it appears that this problem is caused by the Dropbox syncronization.  As I understood it, they told me that my files still exist but it's somewhere on my Mac and that Dropbox bloc the access. The problem is that since I have no news form the company and I don't know if it still exist. Therefore I can't access the account I used when I was working with them. 

Is there someone who had the same problem or is there anyway to contact Dropbox's customer support ? 

Thank you in advance

47 Replies 47

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Tfrancis1

Awesome news to know that you managed to resolve this with our Support.

If you need anything else, I'm always here! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

taoctiger
Explorer | Level 4

I had this exact issue as well and it is not allowing me to upgrade my dropbox. Desktop, Documents, and Downloads are listed as an alias and the file path now goes through Dropbox. See below.

Dropbox-Folder-Issue-2023-03-24_09-21-13.png

If I look at their paths it says Macintosh HD>Users>UserName>Dropbox>Mac

I'm using a 2023 MacBook Pro with an M2 chip and OS Ventura 13.2.1. 

Can someone give me the script that was used to correct this issue so that I can get those folders back to their original places? This affects my ability to save files in those locations and my ability to update the Dropbox application.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @taoctiger, let's jump right into this! 

in order to get your Documents, Desktop and Downloads folder back to their original paths, you'd need to disable Backup first.

You can do this, using these steps. Have you tried that?

Keep me posted!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

taoctiger
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Megan,

Thanks, but I don't seem to have the ability to disable backups. It provides me no option to do so when I go to Manage Backups.

Here is a screencast of what happens: https://app.screencast.com/iHUGt8SKRyS3S

It just tells me what I'm trying to get done which is to get those folders moved back to their correct spots.

Tfrancis1
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, 

If you contact support directly, they will give you directions to enter into your Terminal (C: prompt Dos) that will help correct the issue.

But keep in mind, your folders will not go back to where they are supposed to be. They will be listed under "My files in Dropbox".

Absolutely disappointed with the efforts of Dropbox with this update. It has completely screwed the system. The only way around it is to not

use dropbox app at all. Otherwise moving the folders back to the original position disconnects and fails the sync mode.

Completely stupid system and Dropbox, should never have allowed a script that would move system files out of their original position.

My words can not explain how annoyed and frustrated i am with this update to Dropbox. I wish i had never updated and just stayed with the old

online sync system. Now everything I have documents in Dropbox sync and some that are not. You have to use the "My files in Dropbox" folder moving forward.

I'm currently in the process of looking at moving to OneDrive and/or Google Drive. So frustrating after using dropbox app successfully for so long. 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

We really appreciate your feedback, @Tfrancis1 and I will make sure to pass your comments along to our team.

Regarding disabling backup, @taoctiger, can you try to do it through your backups page online, to see how that works?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

taoctiger
Explorer | Level 4

@Hannah it doesn't seem to let me do that when I try online. Below is a link to what happens.

Also, if I try to finish doing the upgrade it won't let me because it says it can't sync the Documents folder. It tells me to unlock it but when I check it isn't locked. That is in the screencast as well.

https://app.screencast.com/9O8DW2cISBvnR

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the info, @taoctiger , could you try contacting the support team for them to look into this matter in more detail?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

taoctiger
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks, Jay. I have done this.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @taoctiger, feel free to share your ticket number reference with me, so I can locate it on our system. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?