cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox not able to install anymore, tried everything.

I can't install Dropbox on my computer anymore.

FlexAssistance
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi,

I am a Dropbox user for 15 years or so. I use it for business.

My Dropbox icon was nowhere to be found on mu pc a few weeks ago, so I could not seem to check whether my Dropbox was syncing anymore. So, I deleted the Dropbox app from my pc and tried to install it again. The deletion did not go smooth, couldn't delete at first, but after a lot of tries, I managed to get it deleted. But then I tried to install it again, and now that does not work.  I tried all options from the Dropbox site (tips) and then I called my IT Man and he tried for a few hours (!) to install it again but did not succeed. He tried so many thing already.

Is this a known issue with Dropbox and can Dropbox help me with this, or the Community?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the screenshots, Hester! When saying your IT man deleted some parts of the program in the registry, do you mean that he performed an advanced reinstall, as described here

Apart from that, do you happen to run any antivirus/firewall or VPN programs on your computer(s)? If yes, can you disable them temporarily and then, attempt to install the app again? Does the installation go through now?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

DBoxTips
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

Hello @FlexAssistance,

Do you receive any error message when you try to install it again?

Here to help,

Andrew (DBoxTips)

I am an individual contributor to the Dropbox Community forums, not affiliated with Dropbox. All opinions expressed here are my own.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @FlexAssistance, let's jump right into this! 

I'd love to know a bit more about the steps that you tried on your end, in order for me to be on the same page with you when it comes to troubleshooting. 

Did you also try our offline installer? Also, what is the OS of the device you're using on your end? 

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

FlexAssistance
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Megan,

Yes, we did. And it seems that Dropbox was still using internet for that! 

Best,

Hester

FlexAssistance
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Andrew,

Failed to install Dropbox is the message I get.

Best,

Hester

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey Hester, hope it’s OK to jump in, too. Can you clarify the OS version of the device this is happening on?

Other than that, I’d like a full screenshot of the error you’re seeing to have a visual.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

FlexAssistance
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Nancy,

Please do!

Is it possible that someone can look at my computer via TeamViewer to try to help? My IT man has literally tried for hours (and it was very costly for me up till now). He tried a lot, also deleting parts of the program in the registry of the pc. His next option was 'a new computer' or 're-installation' of the computer, but that last one will cost me a day to setup all programs again, and a new computer is not the solution. My computer works fine.

In the meantime, the same problem has arisen on another laptop in our Office. Dropbox does not sync there anymore, and the icon is not showing anywhere, also not when opened as an Administrator. The problem on my computer started the same. My next steps then were to delete Dropbox and re-install it, but that didn't work. 

I hereby send you the screenshot of the error when trying to instal Dropbox again on my PC.  At first, the installation program will try to install for about twenty minutes with this screen:

FlexAssistance_0-1726573276028.png

And in the end, it does this:

FlexAssistance_1-1726573895620.png

This is with the normal installer. With the offline installer, exactly the same happens. We tried to uninstall Dropbox with the official uninstaller and then installation anew does not work either.

You requested me to provide you with the OS version. It is a PC, that is on Windows 10. Is that what you mean? The laptop that has problems with Dropbox is on Windows 10 as well. We have 5 other computers that have Dropbox and they (still) work properly (1 on Windows 11 and the rest on Windows 10).

Looking forward to receiving your reply! 

Rich
Super User II

@FlexAssistance wrote:

Is it possible that someone can look at my computer via TeamViewer to try to help?

You really shouldn't be allowing ANYONE that you don't know into your computer in this manner. It's simply not safe to do so. Dropbox doesn't offer this and you shouldn't accept any offers to do so from others on this or any other site unless you know and trust them.

And in the end, it does this:

The blue link in the message should lead to a help article or other information about the error. Has anyone looked at that yet? What page does it lead to?

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the screenshots, Hester! When saying your IT man deleted some parts of the program in the registry, do you mean that he performed an advanced reinstall, as described here

Apart from that, do you happen to run any antivirus/firewall or VPN programs on your computer(s)? If yes, can you disable them temporarily and then, attempt to install the app again? Does the installation go through now?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

FlexAssistance
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

DBoxTips helped me find the solution with this Dropbox problem. It was a problem with my antivirus software and IT-company, which we now settled, thanks to DBoxTips. Thank you very much! 

Need more support?