cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: dropbox app broken

I can't get the Dropbox app to load on my Macbook Air M2?

FNKDREAMBOX
Explorer | Level 4

No way to open settings. Clicking Dropbox just opens the Dropbox folder in Finder

It appears to be syncing something maybe, but I have no control over it

Please fix, this is terrible

20 Replies 20

BoRubin
Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Hannah,

Sorry, I don't mean the old Dropbox application, I mean literally launching the Dropbox process, starting it up and causing it to sync, and a Dropbox icon appear in the system tray. Like would've happened when starting up windows, should the "start Dropbox on system startup" option was ticked.
The shortcut, which has always done that, stopped doing it.

The sync location, as mentioned above, is E:\Dropbox

Thank you,
Bo

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

I see, thanks for the clarification, Bo.

So that means you don't have a Dropbox icon in your system tray at the moment, right?

Have you tried reinstalling the Dropbox app, to see if that helps?

If so, have you tried any other troubleshooting steps?

If simply reinstalling doesn't help, uninstalling the app, restarting the computer and then reinstalling it, might do the trick.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

FNKDREAMBOX
Explorer | Level 4

Any help on this? 

duck_you and FNKDREAMBOX are both me.

I think the bug you guys have is that double clicking the app does not open Dropbox, but instead opens the Dropbox Folder. You may be relying on a menubar icon instead for your users to have access to the Dropbox application, which means that your team is unaware that apps cannot do that on MacOS Ventura.  You should ship an update that does not rely on the menubar to view the Dropbox application.  Until then, many if not most MacOS Ventura users cannot use your application

BoRubin
Explorer | Level 4

Hello @Hannah,

Thank you for the reply.

1. I did try Advanced Reinstallation as per the instructions of the chatbot, before coming to the forum. I erased Dropbox, edited registry, rebooted and installed afresh. It did not solve the issue.
2. I can have Drobox launched (have it in the system tray) by going through the entire path I mentioned above. It's the desktop shortcut that's bugged (or an odd, new feature), and I'm not the only one with this issue.

Could I possibly ask you to repeat the issue I'm having to me? Apologies of being a bother, I just feel as though I might haven't explained the situation well enough or something, as this is the second page and it's unclear to you what the problem is. Maybe there's an option for live chat?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @BoRubin, have you tried deleting the shortcut on the desktop, and reinstalling the app, without uninstalling it first using this link?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

BoRubin
Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Jay 

Yes.
I have deleted Dropbox, removed Dropbox from the registry, rebooted, and installed. I followed the instructions the support chatbot gave me.
Almost immediately the shortcut changed and could no longer start Dropbox.

BoRubin
Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Jay 

Yes.
I have deleted Dropbox, removed Dropbox from the registry, rebooted, and installed. I followed the instructions the support chatbot gave me.
Almost immediately the shortcut changed and could no longer start Dropbox.

Thanks

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Could you try creating a shortcut of the application itself by copying the shortcut from the Windows start menu?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

BoRubin
Explorer | Level 4

@Jay 

I just did. 
It works once, then quit Dropbox and tried it again, it stopped working.
Just like happens when I change the path on the original shortcut.

Thanks

FNKDREAMBOX
Explorer | Level 4

@Hannah 

Just repeating my reply above - No, there is no menu icon. The Dropbox process is running in Activity Monitor, but I can't access the app itself, so I can't report sync status, change settings, or have any control over Dropbox.

This is because:

a) when I click the Dropbox app in Applications, instead of opening the app, it opens the Dropbox folder.  

b) I suspect that Ventura does not deterministically show all menubar icons, but you're relying on the menubar for your user experience

you should fix a

Kunal

Need more support?