cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to enable files syncing as online-only during installation so that no file exists locally?

How to enable files syncing as online-only during installation so that no file exists locally?

mh24ac
Explorer | Level 3

I want to install dropbox on my new notebook. Since I have little hard disk space on the notebook would like to activate smartsync directly during installation so that no file is local. When I install Dropbox and log in Dropbox immediately starts to synchronize files and thus begins to occupy space. I don't have enough space on my hard drive for all the files I have in Dropbox.

Is there a solution for this?

2 Replies 2

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @mh24ac, I hope you're doing well! 

So, the best way to go on about this, is to start from scratch. 

You'd need to sign out of the account on the app, rename or delete the existing Dropbox folder and the content that has already been synced to the device, and then sign back in. 

Now, keep in mind that upon the set-up process, you might see "How you want your files to sync" -if you don't see this, please click on the advanced settings while setting up the app-, and you want to choose online-only. 

That should do the trick.

Of course, another alternative is to let content sync, and gradually change their status to online-only as they sync. Can you give it a go, and let me know of the results? 

Thanks!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

mh24ac
Explorer | Level 3

thanks for your answer, but this setting only affects newly created files. Dropbox stops the sync starting immediately and thus I don't have the "offline links" to all my files on dropbox in my local dropbox folder. Also new files created from other machines do not appear as local links. seems that dropbox cannot meet my requirement.

thank you

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

mh24ac Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?